Welcome Home, Mikel & Everton Preview

A grim period in the modern history of Arsenal Football Club ended yesterday with the appointment of Mikel Arteta as head coach.

The arrival of Arteta immediately injected energy into the club. Whether that transmits to the players at Everton is another matter.

If they paid heed to his words, then most certainly it will. In Arteta’s Arsenal, there will be no room for shirkers and we certainly have a squad full of them.

“I don’t want people hiding. I want people taking responsibility for the job. Anybody that doesn’t buy into this is not good enough for this environment or culture.”

Radio Silence from the club in recent weeks meant stories of discontent leaked with the highest paid flops “deciding” their futures. Either that or their brother(s) were dismissing the new head coach. No experience apparently means a lack of ambition.

As is always the case, introspection about their own individual and collective performances is in short supply. Judgement Day is now upon them: they shape up or ship out. We’re going to see a huge turnover of staff in the coming months.

The contrast with Everton in that respect could not be starker. Duncan Ferguson hasn’t blinded anyone with science. It’s all about determination and energy. Ljungberg never got that response because our squad is too shallow mentally.

Arteta noted that last weekend, observing that the lack of energy and general malaise troubled him. From the outside, he caught a glimpse of the problems ahead. Disjointed tactics and players who don’t fit into any scheme.

The major task, he noted, was clarity, consistency and ruthlessness: the three c’s.

Mikel, Ma Belle

So, why the change in my views on Arteta as head coach? I only had one reservation which was experience or the lack of it as a head coach.

This is something he cannot overcome so has to work around. Being mentored by Pep, the outstanding coach of his generation, offsets that to a degree. And as I contemplated my naval this week, I wondered if experience is all it is cracked up to be.

Arteta isn’t a manager, he’s head coach. Two different roles and his experience as #2 at City is as good a fit as any. Equally, in football terms, experience means a track record of failure. Only the very elite coaches haven’t been axed at one point or another during their careers.

A lack of experience on this occasion also hides that we don’t know what to expect from him. No track record, you see, so no history and uncomfortable shuffling around.

A pointer: Unai Emery was experienced and created this sh*tshow. You don’t have to fear the unknown.

On the positive side, his embracing of data and analytics is refreshing given our half-arsed usage of them previously. Equally, he talked enthusiastically about every aspect of energy and dynamism at his press conference. That enthusiasm lifted my spirits more than any match has this season.

He talked the talk, having produced the one-hand in pocket confident walk previously. Power rested naturally on his shoulders.

There’s naturally caution to be worn on our sleeves. Anyone who thinks we’ll play like City in a matter of days is going to be disappointed. And clearly hasn’t watched Arsenal over the last three months. We’re in preseason training for next August; anything better than mid-table and we’re in dreamland.

Long live the king!

Now, You FECers Over There

Which celebratory mood is dampened by astonishingly poor performance of the club’s FEC in this whole matter. From taking a week to implement the decision to remove Emery from his post through leaving Freddie with two coaches to train a first-team, they have failed the club at every turn.

It’s not good enough and in all honesty, instead of patting themselves on the back, they should be questioning whether they are fit for the roles they supposedly fulfil.

Corporate governance has been weak at Arsenal for more than a decade and the lack of scrutiny manifested in their dumping Freddie out on a limb and hiding in the shadows as it all kicked off.

The Arsenal Football Club deserves better than these charlatans.

Finally, a word on Freddie. RESPECT. Nothing more, nothing less. Crapped on, he maintained his dignity. Thank you.

Enjoy the inevitable defeat at Goodison Park wherever you are watching it.

116 thoughts on “Welcome Home, Mikel & Everton Preview

1. Jonnygunner says:

Welcome home to you as well YW 🙋🏼‍♂️

2. Jonnygunner says:

And a pre-Christmas Booooom for our new manager-I’m quietly optimistic about him.

3. Adam Singh says:

Nice you have you back Yogi. Hope you are feeling better?

I was impressed by Arteta’s first press conference. Infinitely more interesting and insightful than Emery has ever said.

But it’s a massive step up as you say and only time will tell but I can’t see how things can get much worse.

4. Michael says:

Good to see you back Yogi, and hope you are well or at least getting there.
    I have to confess I was impressed with MA’s press conference and the word that stuck out for me, was “ruthless”. It goes without saying he needs a lot of support from the club to implement whatever he is going to do.
    So welcome home Mikel, looking forward to your reign.

5. Sam Cobb says:

I am delighted that we have Arteta on board; truly optimistic about what he can bring with him and the jolt that can hopefully give to a misfiring and misguided squad of players.

But…… (I am not happy about pissing on the chips of most)… does nobody else think City gave him up a bit easily? Whether we like it or not City are one of the few power house clubs (certainly financially) that can truly get pretty much anybody they want in the world. Even though our negotiation seems (again) to have been conducted at the basic level of Mr. Bean ordering at a Michelin Star restaurant, we got the man we apparently wanted and reasonably quickly (by recent Arsenal standards). I have no doubt if they wanted to give Arteta reassurances and/or financial incentive to stay, they would and could have done so.

That makes me think on two options as to why:

1- they don’t see him as the natural successor to Pep and are quite happy to cut Arteta loose in favour of the next “big name” appointment they already have in mind/already in contact with for next season or the season after.

2- See above and/or they see the true potential in Arteta but happy to treat Arsenal as their feeder club. They’re treating the Arteta Arsenal project like Arsenal loaning out an under 23 player with potential to a Championship club. Yes, I know there are contracts and all that stuff but even if project Arteta works fantastically at Arsenal, and in a few years time it then fits in with City and their managerial timeline I am sure they will just flex their financial and trophy-laden muscle and snaffle him back for a perfunctory compensation figure. (Lets face it- they just wanted a figure between 1 and 2 million for him to come to us. This is a akin to you or I popping a couple of quid in the bucket of some fella collecting for Shelter outside a department store at this time of year).

The point I am rather heavy-handedly making is that whilst I hope Arteta is a massive success and some positive energy and pride again sweeps through the club and supporters, I can’t help feeling the whole transaction smacks of where we are now as a club. We are not a rival to “these” clubs like City. They look at Arsenal now with a patronising lack of fear. This appointment is positive. But the challenge is huge. It may transpire that I am doing the man, Arteta, a complete disservice. Modern football has made me increasingly the cynic. Maybe we have found a true man of honour that is in it for the long haul. But like I said….. modern football has worn me down….

May the future be bright, and may we be led by a man of integrity and immaculate hair for the foreseeable!

Merry Christmas all!

6. Stu says:

I openly said that I didn’t think Arteta was the person we needed at this time, due to the lack of experience. That still holds true, but I was most impressed with his press conference. Certainly came across much more enthusiastically and determined than I expected. Was good to see. He put a spring back into my step. Let’s hope he can do the same with the squad.

7. JonJon says:

to be fair, after 18months of listening to emery’s waffle, a 12 year old could would have impressed us in an arsenal press conference.

that said, arteta seems to have that xfactor.
    can he get his message across to the players in the same manner? remains to be seen
    i still think the job at hand is too big for a guy with no experience, but that said, given time and support it may just be what we needed. everyone needs to start somewhere.

i can see this being messy for a while, its no quick fix but as long as we can see what hes trying to do on the pitch and he gets the correct support from his superiors in the transfer window we could be challenging again in a couple of years.

im in his corner. as i think we all should be.

welcome back YW, hope alls well and you and your family have a blessed christmas

same to all you aclfers, enjoy the festivities mon compadres.

8. Paulie Walnuts says:

I had / have my doubts about Arteta the manager but he’s a very impressive individual who seems to have his eyes wide open with regards to the challenge ahead.

As a player he was cultured & effective & not afraid to put his foot in. Let’s hope his Arsenal team will eventually mirror those attributes.

Methinks Ozil is finally toast. Okay, we’ll still be lumbered financially but I expect that he’ll be gone from the dressing room pretty sharpish. Add Xhaka to the departure lounge and I’d say that it’s a pretty good start for Arteta regardless of what happens on the pitch. Kinda clearing out the infection before you can begin to heal the wounds.

Great post yogi. Hope your health is steadily improving.

Its going to be a big job for Arteta. He has to completely change the mentality and culture on a squad that has lost the fire in its belly. It started downhill during the Wenger era culminating with collecting only 63 points in Arsene’s last season. Unfortunately the Emery era turned into a disaster and it feels like the culture and team mentality continued to deteriorate. When pep and Klopp arrived they both struggled in their first season. I think Klopp finished 8th and pep finished 4th with no trophies his first season. In both cases they needed to rebuild their squads before they could instill the mentality they wanted. Arteta is inheriting a squad which has a terrible culture and is lacking in talent. Its going to take some time.

Ozil’s ability to influence the game on the pitch the way he used to do it has clearly faded with age. You can’t really blame him for that because it happens to every player in the history of sports. Unfortunately I don’t think he has the mental energy or desire to find different ways to make himself valuable to the team. He doesn’t provide veteran leadership in the dressing room or lead by example with his energy on the pitch and he isn’t a role model for the younger players on the training ground.

12. Wailesy says:

You’ve been sorely missed mate. Hope you’re on the mend.

I’ve changed my mind on Arteta completely. Yes it could get messy but fuck it. I’ll back him for as long as he has the gig.

13. phil says:

Nice one YW.
    You are bang on that this is pre season training for next year. Each player to be assessed whether to keep or sell.
    Happy with Arteta’s appointment. Regardless of how the season pans out from here, in terms of final position, I hope we learn a bit about the future, and regain some faith.

14. G4E says:

Some of these young players are getting tired and need to come off.

15. Buckagh says:

Sam Cobb,

Jayus you are half glass empty merchant who cares what City think they couldn’t stop him from leaving, he could resign

This is not an overnight fix, but it is an exciting appointment as YW says experience can be overvalued, intelligence, vision and hard work will very quickly garner experience.

This appointment is vital for the execs they have had a free shot with Unai Emrey not likely to get another one.

Btw I wish Emery the best of luck he was a hard working manager but it didn’t work out for him.
    To Arteta Congratulations, welcome back and best of luck

16. Alex says:

Bye bye Emile. You show it is not easy to replace Özil finally…..

17. Buckagh says:

YW welcome back hope all is well
    Happy Christmas to you and your family

18. G4E says:

This team has no Master Mind…..It’s just get the ball from A to B then B to A and nothing more.

19. Buckagh says:

Both sides struggling for some quality today, but it’s a good draw for Arsenal a young on team on the pitch, clean sheet I I’ll take it

Good to have you back Yogi and I hope you return to full match fitness sooner rather than later.

Match, well its clear we lacked creativity and to be honest, I think this team sorely misses Lacazette. I know Aubameyang is one of the most clinical strikers in world futbol, but he is a runner who uses movement to get into positions but needs somebody to play off of and that is were Lacazette comes into play. Lacazette is a complete striker who is superb at hold up and link up play which is what Aubameyang needs either next to him. Not only that but Lacazette sincr his arrival has scored massive goals in bug moments and matches for us. I truly do hope that Arteta looks and says, “Lacazette, your are my 1st choice #9 and Aubameyang I’m putting you on the wing when out of possession but in possession you play a bit more narrow so you can use your movement and pace to play off the shoulder of the CB’s who eill be occupied by Lacazette.”

Ozil will be interesting, especially with Ceballos coming back. Willock is a box-to-box, Guendouzi the same but Ceballos and Ozil, there the creators in this squad and fixing the midfield I think will be Arteta’s biggest problem.

Experience, sure its needed but in modern futbol were a head coach is just that and no longer a Manager, its making sure you get your message out clearly. Edu, its time for you to show your worth now that you have found your feet at the club.

Alex:
    Bye bye Emile. You show it is not easy to replace Özil finally…..

Ozil has not been any better when he has played this season and in reality he has not been effective for the last 2 years. Unfortunately at this point in his career he no longer has the ability to be part of the solution of the short term solution and already fading badly at age 31 he certainly is not part of the long term solution.

Unfortunately playing a team full of U21’s in a PL game is not part of the short or long term solution either. A team full of U21’s can look great in a cup game against Liverpool but that does not work on a regular basis in PL games

The real problem causing our lack of creativity is a lack of talent.

24. Paulie Walnuts says:

A goalless draw suited both sides today. A game to get out of the way before new managers rock up.

I’m glad Freddie mentioned the lack of effort last week & acted on it. It’s doubtful he would do the same if he was permanent but the message is there to the squad.

25. Spike says:

Ha! Optimistic as ever!

We need a quality number 10 desperately.

Ozil (along with a few orhers) needs to go as soon as possible. And we need a creative spark. One of the kids might develop into that, but we need one now.

Along with a top CB, and DM of course!!

Anyway given our recent form and Evertons, a draw and clean sheet was a very good result.

Props to Freddie for playing such an inexperienced line up.

And welcome back Mikel!!

I am impressed by Arteta the man. There is a fascinating article in ‘The Athletic’ which told me an awful lot more than I knew about him.

He will be a leader amongst other strengths and that is something that we haven’t had in a long time. He knows Arsenal. He understands what the club means.

As for being let go a bit easily by City. No, I don’t think so. He is very much his own man. Remember when he joined Arsenal before? Deadline Day and we had just been thrashed 8 -2 at Utd. We didn’t offer him a particularly good deal but he was determined to come and told the Everton Chairman just that.

I think he is good news.

Spike

It’s not about being optimistic or pessimistic it’s about being accurate and you are saying the same thing I have been saying since before the season started with regard to players we need

28. DALM says:

OK, glass half full.

We say that Guardiola is a good manager when he has the best players & that Arteta has been a good number 2 to Guardiola – at a club with the best players and unlimited resources.

City have struggled this year -with all those resources &Arteta is a part of that failure.

We have a massive rebuilding job to do & the culture is shot & no resources…..

We need a complete rebuilding of a positive squad culture and we need to upgrade the talent at several keys positions. Our best player and only reliable scorer is also not getting any younger.

DALM,

To be fair to City, I knoe I know, part of their strugfle was the loss of Kompany and than LaPorte (whi, when fit is easily one of the best in Europe) got a long term injury and they were left with Stones and Otamendi (the equivalent of Sokaritis and Mustafi) their defense struggled.

consolsbob,

Completely agree and I think 2 more things that I find interesting about Arteta is that he has a true “take no shit” attitude and is not afraid to tell star players to fuck off. Read somewhere, that he is the member of Pep’s staff who not only wasn’t afraid to speak his mind quite regularly but Pep often times went to him for clarity and a proper thought.

The other thing I found is his exceptionally high futboling IQ. Sure he made his name at Celtic and Everton but in Spain and specifically ar Barcelona, he was always tipped to step in to both a playing role and manager role behind Pep. He and Xabi were earmarked to be thr midfield pairing before Arteta left because he wanted to play and not wait. Experience aside, I think he is a man not afraid of making big decisions and changing what he sees is wrong.

32. Blue Yonder says:

Welcome back, YW. Blessings on you and your family, now and in the coming year.
    Despite the rather dismal game, a point away from home and a clean sheet is not to be sniffed at.
    And starting all the youngsters should have sent a clear message to the team.
    Without doubt there is a malaise at the club that is of long standing. Since attitude and enthusiasm are two qualities that cannot be taught, we should expect a fairly massive overhaul over the next couple of seasons.
    Quite frankly, I see very few untouchables on the squad.

33. Blue Yonder says:

Whether or not Arteta’s experience will be a critical factor is unknown. That he seems to possess the right attitude is clear. The other unknown is how the team will respond to his style but I suspect that those unwilling to get onboard will be invited to catch another train.
    And let’s not forget that the malaise has been a long time in the making so isn’t going to disappear just because there’s a new manager; Emery found that out.

34. Bufallo says:

Perfect from Arteta so far, love what he has said so far and his general aura. Hope he’s given backing and time and it comes good. Could be Arsenal manager for many years if he can get a good few years under his belt. As you say respect to Freddie and for his stance on Ozil today…..you don’t do that at Arsenal. Great to have him and Arteta around, they obviously have huge respect and love for the club, it’s been sorely missing. Can’t wait to see the players shape up or ship out. There is at least a vision. Let’s hope Kroenke’s Moneyball comes off

35. Conan says:

Welcome back yogi,

Arteta? Sure, why not?

Freddie, nice move today, and I hope you stay and arteta treats you right.

Good lineup today. As I said last week, looked like freddie was going to see what esm had in the 10 role. Not bad, but not great, no obvious change in the way we played. I would have like to see ozil come on late and see what he looked like when Everton was tired.

I think our offensive midfield is starting to look as much a problem as our defense.

Torreria looked decent today besides a couple horrendous passes. Which I put down to not being on the same page as nelson and esm and saka.

Xhaka actually didnt look like her hurt us and chambers was sold

Of course, consider the opposition.

36. Dukey says:

Yogi?

You do know what you have created with your blog??

37. Dukey says:

I will say what everyone else is thinking, although we don’t know you personally we all care a great deal for you.

38. DALM says:

definitely agree with Dukey – respect Yogi

39. DALM says:

hang on – probably should have put a comma in there somewhere – not awake as yet !

40. Noon Gunner says:

Dukey,

Spot on, Dukey – it’s not only that, while you were away taking care of yourself, I missed your blog and the opportunity for quality conversation you so regularly provide (which I could put down to pure selfish motivations), but I felt bereft of your unique and generous presence in my AFC world. You are a gift to us all and it’s so good to find you doing again what you do so well.

As for Mickel – I thought his press conference was a revelation. Literally. He revealed himself in the most direct way imaginable and I was duly impressed by the man who emerged. We have a seriously intelligent, driven and personable head coach at our club. As has been said above, he will take no prisoners, but I suspect that for the players who decide to throw their cap into his ring, he will prove a career-altering coach.

I agree with all the caveats, but I smell a rare coming together of gifts and grit in this man.

Let the roller coaster roll on and may the coasters be helped overboard under cover of darkness.

Thank you, Dukey and everyone. I’m trying to post tomorrow but for the moment, it’s a bit erratic. Comments are unlocked full time now so enjoy the chat between times.

42. Noon Gunner says:

YW,

Thanks, YW – your confidence in a self-governing ACLF Saloon Bar, while the barman attends to what matters most behind the scenes, is greatly appreciated. Be well.

Dukey has always been a bit of a ‘yes’ man……but he is bang-on there!

44. Mongolian Gooner says:

Thanks for the post, Yogi! Great to have you back and I truly hope that you’re on the mend. And also good to hear about the full time commenting. Always liked the quality conversations of the comments section.

Classy from the Spuds supporters for their racist chants at Rudiger and throwing shit on the pitch because Son decided to lash out and kick him and rightly saw red.

Spurs and Maureen. A perfect match.

On the Arsenal futbol side…..interesting reports have Xhaka agreeing terms with Hertha Berlin.

48. Michael says:

Happy Christmas to all Aclfers wherever you hang your hat.

and a kind of non post Boom, for today.

49. Wailesy says:

I had a dream last night that Arteta sacked my wife from the coaching staff. I then rolled in asking if there may be a vacancy open for me to fill which he sternly replied. No, not for you. Ruthless alright.

50. Noon Gunner says:

Wailesy,

Surely the guy has enough on his plate without having to show up to sort out unrealistic expectations in your dreams, Wailesy? Perhaps you could leave him off the cast list for your next few nights’ instalments, to give him a chance to get us past Bournemouth at the very least. I think I speak for all of us in asking this small thing of you.

51. Wailesy says:

Noon Gunner,

To true.

I apologise for sharing my dream time here but all I got from my wife when I told her was, ” did I look like Freddy?”.

52. Noon Gunner says:

Wailesy,

I hate to think what your reply was…you mention nothing of break-up, so I’m guessing you played the diplomat.

53. Stu says:

Dukey:

We care, because this is the best Arsenal forum around…. yes? Great ponderings by the wise one, educated contributions (generally!) from the fans and none of that fam, blud, geezer stuff that’s on a certain “TV”.

The big question is, if Yogi drew cartoons on walls instead of posting Arsenal-related musings online, would he be as infamous as Banksy? Come to think of it, have we ever seen Yogi and Banksy in the same place, at the same time? Mmmm.

54. Jonnygunner says:

Stu,

He’s in Massive Attack…not YW…the B man

55. Michael says:

Another impressive press conference by MA I thought.

JG you are jealous because I thought of it 🙂

56. Wailesy says:

It’s hard not to be impressed with Arteta. He’s on point with every aspect we’ve been wanting from the team for years. I can’t see there being any misunderstanding between him and any individual at the club at any level.

I’m starting to understand why the board were impressed with him first time around and 3 years with Pep in the PL is as good as an apprenticeship as you could hope for. I’m very excited and hopeful for the remainder of the season. Could we still pull off top 4?

57. Arsetralian says:

Yep spot on Dukey
    Well said

I was very sad to hear about Goonerholic Dave and Yogi has also managed to create something very special here. I am sure he can’t be arsed sometimes and especially when unwell so thanks very much for all your efforts.

Longevity and consistency is the key to blog immortality! So take care and come back soon.

As for the ACLF brigade I always enjoy the respectful chat here. Merry Christmas one and all!!

58. HenryNorrisDialSquare says:

I agree with all the sentiments above regarding Yogi. Without this forum for us all to come together and share our thought’s and opinions of YW’s musing’s on our beloved club. Merry Christmas to you and your family YW. I hope 2020 brings you health, wealth and a return to the top four.

59. TH14 says:

On one of my rare visits to Arseblog, I noticed that the always pessimistic Santori and jw1 are very consistent with their comments on that platform.
    It would have been nice to have everyone one back here to have the Aclf of our dreams and give M.A the very best of support from this platform.
    Merry Christmas everyone

60. Yeovil Gunner says:

Happy Christmas to all my fellow Gooners! ACLF is my regular read. I think i speak for all here when i wish Yogi a great Xmas and hopefully a healthy new year…

TH14,

Have you chatted with M.A recently? Know he moved to Columbus but haven’t heard from him since.

Happy Holidays and Merrry Christmas to all ACLFer’s and especially to Yogi who is the reason we all get to chat and meet. Want to wish all good health and enjoy family and loved ones.

63. G4E says:

Happy Holidays and Merry Christmas YW and all ACLF fans.

64. G4E says:

Arteta….

Very pleased with press conferences so far, I just hope the action/reaction on the field will match the talk.

Not expecting miracles any time soon, but just small wins and changes.

Let’s hope the crowds will give him enough time to turn things around.

65. Blue Yonder says:

Arsetralian,

Couldn’t agree more. Christmas greetings to one and all. And a happy and healthy New Year (especially to YW.)

66. Anderslilya says:

Merry Christmas to everyone at ACLF and especially to Yogi! 😁 🌟🎄🏒

67. Wailesy says:

Happy Christmas! Hope everyone has a safe and merry time with family and friends.

Oh and that we slay Bournemouth.

Merry Christmas to yogi and family. A blessed and happy holidays season to all ACLFers

69. Noon Gunner says:

Merry Christmas all, and let’s Ho Ho Hope we’ve hit bottom and will now bounce all the way back!

May you get all the rest and healing you need, Yogi.

70. Noon Gunner says:

We have a guest apartment above our house here by the sea in South Africa and a very nice family just moved in…only I discover they’re from Bournemouth. Tricky. What to say when we trounce them in a dazzling display tomorrow?

No pressure, Mikel…just saying.

71. Jonnygunner says:

A very Merry Christmas to everyone.
    YW….a BIG thank you for taking the time and making the effort to provide us with something to read,chat,argue and discuss each day.
    I hope your health picks up mate….very tricky time of year with just the one kidney 😉

72. Las says:

Merry Christmas Gentleman.
    I’m very much looking forward for the first game of Arteta but evenly confused by his remark over Xhaka. It’s hard to believe that he is that much different on the training pitch. I whish he could show up today.
    C’mon Arsenal

Excited for the match today and all of it will be interesting to see.

Quick side note….Elneny’s father,as being reported, has stated Elnent, Arsenal and AC Milan are in advanced negiations for a winter move.

Leno
    Maitland-Niles—-Sokaritis—Luiz—-Saka
    Torriera—-Xhaka
    Ozil
    Nelson—Lacazette—Aubameyang

Subs: Martinez, Mustafi, Mavropanos, Guendouzi, Willock, Smith-Rowe, Pepe

75. Andy says:

Curious what the deal is with Pepe lately. Is he just not showing anything in training? Hasn’t been starting in ages. Currently a massively wasted investment.

76. Noon Gunner says:

Why no Martinelli in the squad? Is he injured?

77. Noon Gunner says:

Answering my own question – seems Martinelli’s Everton hamstring injury is still a thing.

Andy,

I wonder if they are giving him some time on the bench to calm him and given his start to life at Arsenal and helo gim deal with the pressure of the transfer fee. I think with Arteta now at the helm, I think we will know more about the squad as a whole in the coming weeks.

79. Noon Gunner says:

Quicker pases, more intensity. Ozil and Torreira sparkling so far.

80. Noon Gunner says:

All of Nelson, Auba and Laca over-hitting at every opportunity, missing some usable chances. Maybe a sign of the much increased eagerness across the team.

81. Las says:

We seem unusually stable at back (or Bournemouth does not offer much) but I wouldn’t mind leading a goal or two

82. Noon Gunner says:

Looks like Saka lost his man’s run to the by-line.

83. G4E says:

We need to calm-down in the final third….and we can score.

84. Las says:

I might send Pepe, Guenduozi and Willock on, for Xhaka, Nelson and Özil

85. SV says:

Uninspiring lineup.

Disappointing attack.

Substitutions too late.

I would expect Arteta to be more active.

We looked for the 1st time in quite some time like there was a plan to get the best out of our best players and a style. Lacazette clearly looked like he needed to shake off the rust and our front 3 had their chances. Ozil looked up for it.

Three points were up for grabs today. A bit poor in defence for the goal, but the poor crossing of both Saka and Nelson together with Lacazette’s wastefulness in the first half cost us. We looked like a unit in the first half until their goal and Pepe coming on shook up the Bournemouth defence. I would have had him on earlier. Fingers crossed that we have had a taster of improvements in our team play.