City Preview: Tall Order

A week has passed since since ill health prevented posting. And it was probably the best week of Freddie’s short Arsenal managerial career to date.

Well, if he’s honest, it was the best forty minutes of his career. Thirty at West Ham where the usual lethargy found itself overwhelmed by Gabi, Pep and a few smiles.

Twenty minutes in Liege turned the night around and Vitoria did the rest. Not vintage but vintage was not required; getting the job done was.

So, as I say, a good forty or so minutes ahead of what is an entirely different kettle of fish this afternoon.

By their own high standards, City have slipped flat on their faces this season. If Liverpool don’t win the title this season, Devon Loch will finally rest in peace. The obituaries on Pep’s reign seem premature, however.

Last weekend’s defeat in the Manchester derby was their fourth this season. Wolves, Norwich, Liverpool and United were all well-organised and pressed consistently for 90 minutes. Those are the very qualities we lack during any part of a game, let alone from kick-off to final whistle.

Injuries suffered at West Ham curtail that ability further. Kieran Tierney is out for several months which means we are in bare bones territory at left-back. Raul doesn’t like January sales but he may have to get cosy with the idea if we suffer further calamity.

Hector Bellerin is out with hamstring twang and Granit Xhaka has concussion. Quite how they noticed…?

I suspect it leaves the line-up:

Leno; Luiz, Sokratis, Chambers; AMN, Guendouzi, Torreira, Kolasinac; Pepe, Ozil, Aubameyang

Three at the back isn’t the safest formation, especially with Bob and Sokratis, but we’re a rickety old ship at the best of times.

We shall see.

Taking Us Back To The 1970s

Mesut Özil embroiled the club in a ‘diplomatic’ spat with China, from which the club tried very unsuccessfully to distance itself. As the NBA found, the Chinese government is more sensitive to criticism than most and Arsenal is paying the price.

The club is obviously trying to protect its assets and commercial interests which were dented when the country’s state television station, ominously known as CCTV, abandoned its’ coverage of today’s match.

As with Hector Bellerin last week, the player attracted criticism for his views. Such is life.

However, I question what it is people want from players? Sanitised versions of human beings whose favourite actors are the Hollywood superstars and favourite meals of Steak and chips with Shakatak in the background?

If there are issues close to their hearts, they have the right to speak out, If you want to take issue, so be it but stifling debate is not answer. Nor is abusing them for speaking out.

Would there be so much criticism if we didn’t have so many problems on the pitch?

Back to today.

It’s a bit of gimme today so low are my expectations. Not that I excuse lack of effort or stupidity, I just don’t believe we’ll pull off the necessary effort and collective intelligence needed.

However, enjoy the match wherever you are watching it.

‘Til Tomorrow.

131 thoughts on “City Preview: Tall Order

1. Jonnygunner says:

Shakatak…..now there’s a blast from the past!

Afternoon all, hope you’re feeling better YW.

I’m not Ozil’s biggest fan but I’ll certainly defend his right to speak out against oppression as he sees it. I only wish more would have the decency to speak out and defend the weak even if it might mean they take a hit in the pocket (take that as you will).

As I’m not expecting much today anything less than a thrashing would be a bonus.

3. Michael says:

Great to see you back Yogi, I can’t speak for others, but you are sorely missed when you don’t post. There aren’t any other bloggers that hit the spot like you. So long my you remain healthy.
    The match today is a snap to Andy’s view.

Glad to see you back and in better health.

So futbolers take a trashing when they speak out against oppression yet, if me or you did it we would be championed for wanting change….strange this world is. Anyways, good on Ozil and Bellerin for having a platform and using it to speak out.

Today, well I say fuck it lets go attack because Citeh’s back line is ad shaky as ours is.

Leno
    Maitland-Niles—-Chambers—-Sokaritis—Sead
    Guendouzi—Torriera
    Pepe—-Ozil——Gabriel
    Aubameyang

Subs: martinez, luiz, Willock, smith-rowe, saka, lacazette, nelson

6. Woolwich Freddie says:

Was starting to get worried, YW. Glad you’re on the mend!

7. Woolwich Freddie says:

100% agree players entitled to their own opinions. There’s too much bowing down to Mammon – if Chinese tv wants to take their ball and go home (or give us back our ball and send us home?), let ‘em. I suppose the big picture is that losing that market would make us less competitive. Interestingly enough, I don’t care.

8. Woolwich Freddie says:

My feeling on the other Freddie so far is that he has shown himself to be a decent attacking coach but is not, by his own admission, the guy to organize the defense. He, sensibly, seems to have highlighted a few key areas for short term improvement, primarily just moving the ball more quickly, and we already look more direct in attack. The work rate is a little better but we still struggle to sustain motivation over the 90 but that’s a decade-old problem.
    I’d be tempted to retain Freddie as attacking coach, pair him with a defensive coach (sorry, not Per), and bring in a proven motivator above them.

9. SV says:

I do not rate Özil as a player (anymore). I do not share many of his political views. I do not think he was unfairly treated in Germany because of his background.

I do defend Özil’s freedom of speech.

People’s Republic of China, in the best communust traditions, tries to shut up any critisism. This should be resisted by freedom loving people. They do not want to watch Arsenal? Tough luck. Move on. Defeat Man City.

10. Woolwich Freddie says:

RE: Xhaka’s concussion. I’m sure this is the sort of abuse he was upset about and I don’t wish to be unkind but I kind of assumed he already HAD a concussion and that, when he got that knock on the head, it was going to be the one to snap him out of it, cartoon-style.

11. Woolwich Freddie says:

Some mental diarrhea:
    I thought the Liege game, whilst flawed, had some interesting moments. I think Luiz has been appalling lately but it was interesting to see him marshaling the defense before defending or taking set pieces – we do have a vacancy for on on-pitch organizer (although preferably one who does not keep passing the ball straight to the other team).
    Now we are moving the ball more quickly, we seem less (over) reliant on Guendo.
    Willock, whilst culpable in conceding, impresses me as perhaps the most “all round” midfielder we have.

12. Bufallo says:

God speed YW hope you’re now feeling a bit better.
    Well done Ozil handling it to the Kroenkes twice, trousering 375k per week as well as significantly damaging them commercially in China. That will be him gone soon for sure you’d think. Do I care if we are a brand in China…. Do I f. Ji Jing Pinger, what a guy.

13. phil says:

That back 4 looks horrible.
    I am not staying up to watch this.
    Enjoy

14. Paulie Walnuts says:

Let’s face it, we’re an embarrassment.

15. Bufallo says:

Kroenkes you c###s
    We are never going anywhere with this mob owning the club, they bring shame to the name.
    Stealing money that’s all they want to do should be mutiny against their ownership. Worst owners in top leagues by a considerable diatance
    Can’t wait for their next appalling bad move.

16. G4E says:

Just turned on the game to see we are already 0-2 down in 20 minutes.

Who’s counting?

17. Blue Yonder says:

I fully support free speech, especially when it is used to good effect. The situation with Ozil is a bit different, in that he is perceived (by Red China) as representing a commercial institution at whom they can hit back. To say that Ozil should have considered that is a waste of effort. Still, his employer stands to lose from his comments – and this from an employee already costing them tons of money.
    And, when you look at his targets to date, his is very much the shotgun approach: racism in German football, support of a divisive Turkish leader, and now this.
    Too bad he isn’t as critical of his own performances.

DeBruyne shrugged Geundouzi off like it was nothing.

Defensively, we are so fucking terrible.

Leno with a brilliant save! Could you imagine how further down the table we would be without Leno

19. Bufallo says:

Probably best if the Kroenkes ‘come out’ and be honest about the fact they don’t want any fans
    Pathetic, I don’t blame the players or manager. These cowboys have systematically destroyed our club with their brain dead ownership. Hope they lose a bucket load

20. Bufallo says:

Exactly who would want the job? Clearly no ambition or support or interest or respect from the owners. Sell up boys stick to ruining your other sports franchises

On the bright side, if we do get Arteta, he is able to see the size of the job at hand and hopefully he can introduce Citeh’s style of play.

22. Anderslilya says:

IF only he would speak out against Erdogan and his deeeds, but they seem to be bestest pals

23. Paulie Walnuts says:

Empty seats , City in second gear & our defence non existent.

I feel sorry for the younger players as the seniors are a disgrace. Ozil, Aubameyang, Sokratis couldn’t give a shit.

24. Paulie Walnuts says:

No thanks on Arteta. City are the same as us but just have better players.

25. Woolwich Freddie says:

Sounds good, C. Problem is, I think there are many steps between where we are now and City’s style of play. The fans and the club may need to accept us going through a lengthy phase of not being pretty in order to get the basics of the game right. I’ve played on Sunday League teams with a better understanding of defending.

26. JonJon says:

watching de bruyne makes you realise how shite ozil really is.

welcome back yogi.

Paulie Walnuts,

When you can spend £1bn on players you can cover up the fact that defensively you’re not that great. Our biggest issues are organisation and defensive fragility, nothing that I see from the way City play suggests that Arteta can address those issues.

28. Woolwich Freddie says:

I can see the arguments for Arteta but have my reservations.
    Certainly, Pep’s high standards would be an excellent thing to inherit but he’s always had the best players in Europe at his disposal – will this prepare Arteta for working with players below this level?
    As a player, Arteta had a nice balance between finesse and steel (most of it before he joined us) but he was unable to transmit the steel to the other players as captain and that must raise questions about his ability to do it as a manager.

29. G4E says:

This is truly our level right now, if we want to be honest with ourselves.

We are a struggling team who is in free-fall, and we can celebrate when we win against a fellow struggling team like West Ham. This is how far we have fallen and our competition is not with the Top Premier League clubs.

Another mishap of hastily firing the Manager or Coach without a solid replacement. No disrespect to Freddie, but he’s not on this level yet and not with the difficult shambles the team was left to rot-in for so long.

Enjoy the Holidays, because you will see a lot of these defeats during this Festive period.

**How the Mighty have fallen at the hands of Stan the Billionaire!

So far the Freddie era has given us a really strong 9 minute stretch where we scored 3 quick goals against West Ham but the rest has resembled Emery ball. I think sacking Emery was clearly he right thing but the real problem was never managerial tactics or suboptimal language skills. We don’t have the players to compete with CL level teams.

Welcome back yogi. Hope you are better and happy holidays to you and your family

32. Charley Bates says:

Freddie has no shame, with this display. Neither does the entire Arsenal hierarchy. This team would be glad to take a 5-0 defeat before kickoff. The great Guendozi belongs in the English Championship until he figures out how to defend the ball or initiate any attack.
    As for Xhaka, the less said, the better.

33. JonJon says:

martinelli, pepe and saka give me hope that we have ready made replacements for when auba and laca fuck off in the summer.

use the money to rebuild the entire midfield

fuck knows how we fix the defence.

Paulie Walnuts,

To be fair to Citeh, they are MASSIVELY missing LaPorte who is a superb CB.

We have fit CB’s who are…..

Woolwich Freddie,

I would legimately not even focus on defending, we are shit at it and have been since..funny enough Mert and Kos was our CB pairing and Szcesney won the Golden Gloves. Focus on attack and then hopefully we find a commanding CB.

36. G4E says:

I don’t understand the tactic of retreating against the opponent without trying to attack the man with the ball?

We concede huge ground to the opposition very easily, all it take is one player to carry the ball from End to End and possibly score.

Not being funny, I don’t understand why Lacazette isn’t our 1st choice #9.

Lacazette should be coming on.

38. Woolwich Freddie says:

JonJon,

Would be interesting to take that cash and buy CBs and DMs and give the youngsters their chance.
    It’s one thing for a teenage Brazilian forward to be our best attacker; he probably shouldn’t be our best defender as well.

39. Woolwich Freddie says:

I see what you’re saying in respect of the squad we have but there’s a certain basic level of defending necessary for any style of play at any level and we are not currently meeting that required for Sunday League.

Leno saves us AGAIN!!!!!!

If only he had a half decent CB pairing infront of him, people would be talking about him being only behind Allison and Ederson for best in the PL.

Leno is FAR AND AWAY my Player of the Season.

41. Woolwich Freddie says:

I feel Laca has been mistreated since he came to the club. He’s offered fight, hold-up play, scrabbling in the box, aerial prowess, skill, determination, etc. He hasn’t been played enough or treated as particularly necessary and now he’s starting to get jaded. Opportunity missed.

42. Woolwich Freddie says:

NOW we’re playing with 9 behind the ball!

43. Woolwich Freddie says:

I think Graham might have had a few of them meet with an accident.

Woolwich Freddie,

Yup and he shows up in the big matches and produces. I still think a front 3 of Pepe/Lacazette/Aubameyang compliment each other and would have saved us in so many matches but Emery was to cautious and Freddie won’t do it. Lacazette’s hold-up and link-up play is quality and he allows Aubameyang to run free because he occupies the CB’s. Its would be similiar to the way that Firmino does for Salah.

45. Woolwich Freddie says:

Those three could work but I think Ozil with them is too much without buying two enormous midfield enforcers.

We had a lot of debate and discussion about Emery’s management style and why he didn’t use ozil. However since he has been playing its pretty clear what Emery was thinking. Ozil does not provide much energy and is a defensive liability and he no longer has the ability to provide consistent meaningful positive influence to our attack. What was the point of using him?

Instead of bringing Lacazette on, they bring on Willock!

Freddie plays the youth he knows instead of the better quality of Lacazette.

Woolwich Freddie,

Then go with Chambers or Luiz and Torriera and midfield with Guendouzi ahead of them. I will always be an Ozil admirer but without any sort of defenae behind us and with Freddie refusing to play Lacazette, go with a different midfield and let the front 3 go.

Name 1 player not named Torriera, Leno or Gabriel who isn’t a dedenaive liability in this squad and that is INCLUDING all of the CB’s? I exclude Bellerin and Tierney because they haven’t played. Attacking wise, pretty hard to attack when your defense is THIS bad.

50. Woolwich Freddie says:

I’m not a big Ozil basher. Everyone has been bad and we don’t have the personnel to use him effectively. The issue is the squad has been built with little regard to how it fits together or how they are going to play.

51. Woolwich Freddie says:

In the short term, I would play Torreira, Guendo, and Willock in midfield with Pepe and Martinelli outside them, basically as a five, with Laca up front on his own, emphasize work rate, and only allowing two or three forward at one time. You could use Auba late on to stretch the game. Anyone not giving the effort would be dropped, even if we ended up playing the entire U-23s and Kim Little. But that’s just me.

52. Woolwich Freddie says:

Bloody hell. Look at the stands: the bold, the few.

53. Bufallo says:

Presumably the owners have decided to write off the season entirely and don’t even want europa, which is actually sensible for the next season, providing we don’t totally bomb even without Thursday nights. Otherwise their inaction is just total incompetence. Ancelloti is available now, and has been for days. Now we’ve played City maybe Arteta comes. Just take some bloody decisive action, even if it’s giving FL the job. What a shambles. Josh totally failing his apprenticeship, brutal we are his play thing.

54. Conan says:

I think people on here are expecting way to much of a coach. To think anybody was going to come in and sprinkle pixy dust on our team and fix it is crazy talk.

I like what freddie tried to do today. Realistically whatvwhere his choices?

I think putting saka on for kolo was a great move, and we arguably looked better with saka. I think removing ozil at 58 minutes and playing esm gets esm some minutes and puts the onus on ozil to show why he should start.

I also think we look better with amn then bellerin. I think pepe and amn combine better then pepe and bellerin.

We need somebody to motivate these players, yes, but some of these players aren’t the answer and i think freddie is going about showing the people above him who those are..

Conan

C:

It’s not just about today. Ozil hasn’t been able to bring any sort of dynamic creativity to our games since he signed the big contract 2 years ago. How much more evidence do we need to show that his ability to influence the games has faded away with age?

56. G4E says:

City really took pity on us and didn’t go for it. We were open for a spanking and possibly an 8 or 9-0 scoreline.

We have pieces of the puzzle but no plan of how to fit it together. This team is disjointed, have no idea how to defend as a unit not just bad defenders.

The likes of Bould and Mertesaker are or were not able to put a defensive mark on the team. I refer back and always to the times of Pat Rice assisting Wenger, since Pat Rice departure in 2012 I think, we began to lose our defensive ideals and played Wenger Gung-Ho football, we all know how that ended.

I think its a failure on all levels, from the top and down to the last player on the field not being fit for the job or for a non-existing plan.

You need a big name manager with a vision and philosophy…..A 1996 Wenger if you will.

Until then, we are in deep Dodo.

57. Conan says:

Something I said the other day.

If not ozil, who?

Emery tried torreria. Freddie tried willock

Maybe Emile smith rowe will work is what freddie is thinking today.

The club does not have a replacement for ozil at the moment.

Conan

Conan

If you have a pure flair player who no longer brings any flair then it doesn’t matter if we don’t have a good replacement. If ozil is not bringing anything positive to our attack then there is no good the reason to use him?

Surely the fact that Freddie has not been allowed ro bring in his coaches suggests that a permanent appointment will come sooner rather than later?

60. Paulie Walnuts says:

consolsbob,

Normally you’d be correct…..but this is Arsenal 2019 , so you’re probably miles off.

61. Dukey says:

Yogi. You had us all worried.

So I’ve got sokratis as the juggler, Luiz as the tight rope walker, xhaka as the guy who gets shot out the cannon, ozil as the clown who soaks himself with buckets of water, Chambers as the unicycle rider, kolasniac as the contortionist, mertersaker and Freddie as the current ringmasters.

62. Dukey says:

We are royally fucked in defence Its the worst in the league by a mile, It’s relegation fodder and we will only be rescued by the attackers. The midfield without Rambo is very weak. We are still in the shit and we have still only beaten a poor West ham side.

Going forward we have to get the best players on the pitch, even if it means slightly playing someone out of position. I’d go with

Leno
    Any bunch of useless defenders available
    Pepe Torriera ceballos/guendozi/Luiz saka
    Lacazette
    Auba

63. Alex Ice Cream says:

Welcome back Yogi. Good to to see that you are on the mend.

A pity that Arsenal are not.

Ozil needs to be told to fuck off as he has played his last game for the club. If he doesn’t then fine, he can train with the reserves until his contract runs out. I am hoping that his statements about China are a breach of contract and that we can sack him. Straws clutched.

Any comparison between KDB and Ozil are laughable and KDB is on less money, go figure…

We are a mid-table side, let’s face facts. I feel for Leno playing behind that defence and midfield, he has been outstanding this season. He has made more saves than any other keeper in the Prem and we still ship 2-3 goals a game. Who could blame him if he went to Bayern?

Auba won’t stay and who could blame him either. We should sell him anyway as he will be 31 soon and we won’t be winning anything until he is 40. Martinelli can take over and Saka can play on the left with Pepe on the right.

The game today lasted 89 seconds. We are a disgrace, an embarrassment. So many players not fit to wear the shirt.

64. Alex Ice Cream says:

Conan,

If not Ozil, who???? This is a ridiculous comment. A traffic cone would give us more than Ozil who even at his best was overrated. He was never a leader, just a meek follower.

Ceballos, Laca behind the striker, Martinelli in the hole anyone but Ozil. Smith Rowe or Willock even.

Ozil is a total waste of space and money. I would send him on a 1 way trip to China.

I don’t often have this level of vitriol towards our players but I cannot stand Ozil. Spolit, overrated, overpaid, c**t.

65. Jonnygunner says:

If I posted on Twatter about Muslims in China, nobody would give a fuck.Why would they?…I’m a nobody.
    Ozil isn’t a nobody.He’s a professional football player employed at an elite club(to an extent…)
    He’s using that platform to air his views(rightly or wrongly).
    That move has had a direct effect on AFC in China-a huge global market,so it’s bad for business.Football is business,so he’s fucked up…badly.
    He is an employee of the club who has used his notoriety to push his beliefs…..not good.

66. G4E says:

Alex Ice Cream: This season has gone. We need to finish in mid table obscurity, avoid the pointless Europa league, get a new manager and go from there.

Totally agree with that. Why El or CL? We don’t have a freaking chance in hell with that.

Finish mid-table and start over. You do not need huge name players to win the league or get in the Champions League places. Ask Leicester!

You need a vision about Football, not a Vision about making money. At least they both must go hand in hand.

I would not mind Carlo Ancelotti or Mauricio Pochettino. Despite my reservations on the latter, at least he seemed to know what he was doing.

We need to start over, there are a few good players in this squad to keep and a lot that need to go. They don’t fit, they’re not up to it, they’re done with football and going through the motion, they all need to go.

Let’s Arsenal Football Club, Go back to School Again.

67. Mongolian Gooner says:

I was watching a Russian stream on my laptop this morning, and the commentator referred to the remaining spectators in the stands as “masochists”, which I thought was somewhat appropriate.

68. Stu says:

Morning all,
    Yesterday might have been match day, but my usual feelings of anticipation where not there. I didn’t worry about my usual match day superstitions – don’t wear any Arsenal t-shirts or drink from the Arsenal mug. While I still didn’t do either, it was not a conscious decision.

I didn’t check BBC Sport for kick off time. I didn’t have that time etched in my mind. I didn’t plan to sit down and watch it. I ended up seeing the last 30 mins or so of the first half, before remembering I had a voucher for 10p off of fuel from a certain supermarket that expired yesterday. So I went to fill up instead. I casually had 5 Live on in the pick up, but wasn’t really listening.

When a lifetime’s support, through the highs and lows, disappears, it shows how far you have disconnected from the team. It’s a sad reflection on how far Arsenal have fallen, when we – the loyal cash cow of support – no longer give a sh!t. That’s something Josh and Stan need to be wary of.

On the upside, it’s good to hear that YW is back. You had us all worried for a moment.

Some exec’s were seen leaving his house last night, it’s an assumption at this stage.

For me, it’s not the right man to sort this out. I’ll wish him luck though

70. Stu says:

Damon,

I tend to agree. He will have my full support, but at this time it looks a little speculative. Arteta may become a good/great manager in due course (I hope he does), but at this time he is simply unproven. With the issues we have at the moment, I would have thought an older experienced manager – at least for the remainder of the current season – would have been the better option. If the appointment does happen, it looks like we would have gone for the cheaper option again.

71. Papa Bear says:

Stu, Damon,

Beggars can’t be choosers, and we are drowning.

Carlo is washed up legend,
    Poch waits his best options, and we can’t wait,
    Allegri would also wait and want 250m funds,
    Benitez enjoys panda life,
    Viera is not convincing yet,
    And other candidates eithet meh, or have their own disinterests.

So that’s why beggars can’t be choosers, yes, Arteta is a gamble that we hope he can emulate Pep’s way to play his attacking football.

Our useless board will only act if they got cornered and had nowhere to run, hence this immediate action taken. But hey, we can afford to burden our Freddie with longer indecisiveness.

I will also fully support Arteta although I have doubts and reservations myself, but watching last night hammering, was alarming and change is imminent. COYG.

72. Papa Bear says:

*either

* can not afford

sorry for the typo.

73. Papa Bear says:

And the Arteta timing couldn’t be much better cause the EL draw result : Olympiacos vs Arsenal.

Papa Bear,

I still don’t understand everybody’s obsession with Poch, good coach, but has won fuck all.

At this point, I think most appointments will be a gamble but a decision has to be made so that we can at lest start in some direction.

Olympiacos, that’s not a bad draw.

75. Woolwich Freddie says:

I suspect Arteta is the coach we are willing to pay for rather than the coach we need but, if he is going to be appointed, give him authority, time, and a little Christmas spending money. There’s going to be a lot about fans giving him a chance but the club has to first.

Agree with most of that. Concern that he’s unproven, also that City’s style isn’t one that I’d advocate with our terrible defence and mediocre midfield. We’d continue to concede too many goals.

That said if he is the chosen (cheap) one then of course I’d support him and hope to be proven wrong.

One other observation, Arteta is supposed to have met with Vinai last evening. With all due respect why is he meeting the accountant? Surely Edu would have been part of the meeting? At least he knows something about the game.

andy1886,

I think Woolwich Freddie answered you in his post before your question 😀

Damon,

If Arteta does come, maybe Citeh will let us borrow Foden for the rest of the campaign.

80. Dukey says:

Can someone explain why Arteta has never been linked with the Everton job? I think the shit we’re in maybe an Alardyce would have been more pertinent.

81. Stu says:

Woolwich Freddie,

Hit the nail on the head WF. Smacks of exactly what the club will pay and not who we need right now. Arteta may be an improvement over Freddie long term, but right now that squad needs a visit from the Grim Reaper.

It’s yet another cheap as chips Walmart strategy!

Can I also say, Freddie saying that putting Aubameyang and Lacazette in thr same team will unsettle the balance of the defense…..are you FUCKING kidding me, not playing them unsettles the defense, playing them unsettles the defense, Bill talking about his hatred for midfielders unsettles them, Damon’s “BOOM” unsettles our defense, my daughter coloring unsettles our defense…

Play Lacazette, Aubameyang and Pepe and figure out the rest.

C:
    Damon,

I thought Dani Ceballos was the answer to our prayers.

I am not a big fan of the Arteta experiment but it is what it is. I don’t think we can try to emulate peps style of play and be successful. Pep spends more money to rebuild squads and wherever he has gone his teams have an overwhelming talent advantage over the rest of the league and most of the world which is certainly a huge part of his success. You need a big talent advantage to successfully do what his teams do and we will never be able to build that type is squad. We all want to club to find a specific “style of play” and stick with it. However I think the reason Emery and Freddie have not been able to build a specific style of play is because we don’t have the talent to execute one style successfully on a consistent basis and that isn’t going to change anytime soon