Auba Off As Emery Remains? The Drama Continues…

The chances of anything coming from Mars is a million-to-one they said…

Well, when they park their flying saucers on Highbury Hill and disembark wearing their Mars/Arsenal half ‘n’ half scarves to mingle in, the invasion plans will stall. “If Unai Emery is still Arsenal boss, how the hell can we invade this planet? Nothing will shift these earthlings! They are hardier than the Martian cockroach…”

You get the feeling that only a seismic event is going to shift Unai from the Arsenal hot seat and losing to Norwich City no longer qualifies as that.

Disturbingly, there are notions surfacing that some in the club believe the malaise is directly attributable to the absence of Granit Xhaka. The Swiss was integral to Emery’s ‘success’, they believe.

Yes, I missed the successful part of this season as well. The capacity for delusion among The Muppet Show is most concerning. If they cannot see the evidence of failure before their eyes, we are way over our heads in something brown and sticky.

The fallout from our coaching situation is more than just his job. The summer of ‘Don Raul’ featured the reiteration of the club’s ‘new’ contract mantra: ‘sign a new deal or be sold’. No exceptions unless you were a footballing geriatric.

Alexandre Lacazette and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang are testing that. At the end of this season, they have two years and one year remaining on their deals respectively.

Sign, or be sold, he said. Sign, or be sold.

The club is keen to keep both and reportedly opened talks with both over extending their stay in North London. This morning, it seems, they got their answer from one of them at least. Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang has politely told them to do one, for the time being at least.

Backed Into A Corner

The Times this morning carries the story that the striker is fed up and wants to know what is going on as we’re on course to miss out on the Champions League once again. Reading between the lines, he fed up with playing in the Europa League. Don’t worry, Pierre-Emerick, you won’t be playing in that either next season.

Of course, some won’t miss PEA whose contribution to the team beyond scoring is questionable. Then again, what do you want a striker to do? Score or defend. Arguably both but given we’re struggling in front of goal, let’s be grateful for what we currently have.

It was inevitable that at least one of the set of talks would go nowhere. Arsenal are drifting toward mediocrity – OK, hurtling headfirst toward it – and the football operations suddenly looks vulnerable. It isn’t just on the pitch where circumstances change quickly.

There’s quite a list of players who finish the season with a year left: Sokratis, Luiz, Mustafi, Auba and Özil. The only player I am concerned about at present from that list is Aubameyang. However, he is far from irreplaceable but it will require more creativity from the club as far as signings are concerned.

Then again, I can honestly say I can count the number of players who I would currently be upset at losing on the fingers of my amputated hand.

Some – Bellerin, Saku, Holding, Tierney, Chambers, Willock – I think have great potential. The rest? Replacements are ten-a-penny.

Maybe a new coach can reinvigorate the squad, get them to play above themselves and change that thinking. It’s all a lot of ifs, buts and maybes though.

If Paradise…

It’s a sad state of affairs and when I see the Wenger memes about ‘I told you so’, I wonder at the detachment from reality. Arsene isn’t to blame for Emery’s failures but he didn’t help with the squad we were left with!

There’s no relation to the thoughts that surfaced even as late as 2014 that the squad would be in better shape than when Ferguson left United. We are in every sense United-lite.

Still, our capacity for humour remains undimmed. Unai has apparently pulled out of “Guillem Balagué’s masterclass series at University Campus of Football Business in London on Friday but the event has been cancelled.”

A managerial masterclass from a condemned man. It’s bit like finding there is a Michelin-starred chef on death row and getting him to cook all the last meals.

Mind you, the standard of journalism around Emery’s future is poor. The Times piece includes this gem:

Julian Draxler, one of Emery’s former players at Paris Saint-Germain, highlighted one of the difficulties of working with the Spaniard compared with Thomas Tuchel, the French club’s present head coach.

Draxler said: “I consider him a very good coach, but with him the communication was sometimes not that easy. When you talk to Thomas [Tuchel] and he clearly tells you in two sentences in German what is good and what is not good, that is certainly an advantage.”

Yoolian gets to the heart of the matter

So, if I’ve got this right, Draxler, a German finds it easier to converse with a German coach in German, their native tongue. Whodda thunk it?

20 thoughts on “Auba Off As Emery Remains? The Drama Continues…

1. Michael says:

Our experience of selling players, even those with quality is dismal, so perhaps we can expect a row of buttons from the summer sell off, that will be fun. Thats if Emery remains.

2. Jonnygunner says:

Champs league spot….if only

3. Randy Thomsett says:

More likely he’s fed up with the London congestion charge. He fancies driving his customised chrome plated Ferrari around Las Ramblas instead.

Give me Merson, Limpar, Rocastle etc etc, any day of the week.

4. HenryNorrisDialSquare says:

If hell were to freeze over, the Spuds, Manure and the Chavs get relegated. The stars align and a solar eclipse occurs. Arsenal still wouldn’t sack Emery until the summer.

Just saying…

5. Paulie Walnuts says:

Bang on the money today , YW.

They say players get better by not playing. That’s certainly the case with Xhaka.
    I’m just waiting for the calls to bring back Mustafi.

I totally agree with your comments on the out of contract players & the ones of potential. As things stand now I don’t see Aubameyang staying but that could change if a new manager can quickly turn things around or Emery does likewise. Unlikely. He’ll be missed.

There are so few consistent goal scorers in our squad it shows the folly of allowing Ramsey to leave. Even if he only plays every 3 weeks.

Somewhere in the corridors of power at Arsenal a spreadsheet exists

It balances the cost of firing Emery now (by my guess, about £4m right now?) against other financial losses from keeping Emery. I appreciate the list is somewhat intangible, as it would include things like “European Football”. There’s no guarantee a new broom sweeps that in any more than Unai, but there must be a metric on probability of that somewhere.

Cost of PEA leaving and then replacing him?

Cost hit in merchandise and matchday revenue because we’re shit and no one wants a coffee mug with “Shit FC” printed on it and no ones at the games so they can’t sell any of their lovely beer?

I know oversimplifying it, but surely we’re close to the tipping point on that equation, if we haven’t passed it some time ago?

7. Paulie Walnuts says:

Damon,

I think you’re right. It’s going to be purely a business decision rather than footballing.

8. Jonnygunner says:

HenryNorrisDialSquare,

We know you’re just saying…you’ve been saying it for weeks!😂
    I don’t think he’ll see Christmas as our manager(this Christmas).

BBC reporting that Wolves’ Nuno Espirito Santo is a serious candidate if AFC sack Emery.

I’d take that as being close to the end for Emery then, if the club is leaking that sort of tale then there is no going back.

10. Blue Yonder says:

Few untouchables on this squad and no blue print showing the way forward. Even if he’s happy at Arsenal, Aubameyang knows that he has to make a move if he’s to finish his career with a bang. Can’t blame him.

Actually, a mug with “Shit FC” on it sounds quite appealing.

12. Blue Yonder says:

Uno coming in makes no sense. He’s got about 5 mins experience in the EPL with a team for whom expectations are slight; staying up for a lengthy spell being the main objective. Why does this suddenly make him a prime candidate for Arsenal?
    I rate Eddie Howe much higher and yet people say he isn’t ready for the big time. And Uno is?

I want a change at Arsenal but, still, I have to feel for Emery, constantly having to field bombardments of the media. OK, he isn’t cutting it but he seems a decent guy and is handling the whole thing with class.
    Wish I could say the same for the ink-stained wretches (or whatever passes for ink today) in the media.

13. MikeSA says:

Blue Yonder:

I wonder whether the damagement at Arsenal aren’t quite keen on the idea of selling Aubmeyang at the end of the season.

He’s getting very close to, if not past, his sell-by date, and considering how money-orientated the Kroenkes are, I suspect their perspective on this is very different to ours.

I suspect they’re a lot more open to “losing/cashing in on” him than many of the fans are.

On that basis (just a thought), and remembering how Stan hinted that Wenger had more or less “seen the business sense” when he sold Nasri to Citeh, I wonder if part of Wenger being shown the door was also sourced in the bath we took on Sanchez and the ever-looming loss of Ramsey (in addition to the stadium getting emptier).

Personally I will be seriously underwhelmed if we end up with the Wolves dude.

I’ll support him (the only appointment I would completely shun would be the self-licking lollipop currently preening himself at Leicester), but I can’t help feeling that it won’t work out well either.

That said, I suspect our damagement are going to cling on to Emery until the end of the season, no matter what, and if we lose Aubmeyang and a few other “expensive” players, it’ll be an exceptionally insincere “oops, sorry about that” from them.

14. nicky says:

Blue Yonder,

Totally agree with your remarks about Emery. I know that historically, managers have to fall on their sword. At the end of the day though, the gradely-paid guys who wear the shirt must surely accept some responsibility for what happens on the field of play.

15. Spike says:

Nice one Yogi, thanks

Players I’d like to retain…

Auba, Laca, Pepe, Saka, Nelson, Whillock, Torreira, Gwen, AMN, ESR, Martin Ellie, Tierney, Kola, Bells, Chambers, Holding, Lenny.

16. Blue Yonder says:

MikeSA,

You’re probably right about the board’s view of things. Looking back, I would have preferred our getting 60M for Sanchez than the swap for Mkitaryan. After all, City won the league anyway. So, if we’re going to lose Aubameyang anyway, let’s at least cash in. That said, selling players isn’t the way back for Arsenal.

17. Arsetralian says:

Amazing how deflating a run of poor football is for assessing who stays or goes.
    Everyone suddenly looks average.
    We deluded ourselves that Bell, Tierney and Holding would bring relief.
    We’re just rubbish at the moment and not sure I feel like bigging up anyone just now.
    We have managed everything wrong including Xhaka who I actually like for his attitude. Think Roy Keane here. But sadly not his ability.
    A mess.