Power Shifts and Five of the Best

You have to love football’s short-termism. You have to, otherwise it’s another thing which drives you to the brink of insanity and lord knows, there are enough of them already. At his press conference yesterday, Arsène gave short shrift to the suggestion that this season represented a power shift in North London. His answer, “You cannot say that the weight of one year has the weight of 20”, is spot on. Not that it matters, the runners and riders in the Swamp Classic were off and away. The best was “Three defeats in seven years” in the soon-to-be car park demonstrates that it’s true. I kid you not, John Cross actually wrote that. And got paid for it. No wonder print circulations are sinking faster than the Titanic.

Of course, we know all about power shifts; Arsenal were responsible for one in 1989 and when that didn’t happen, in 1991. And eventually, power did shift from Anfield, except it went to Old Trafford. Talk of our death is premature, especially with the swamp dwellers moving to Wembley next season. There’s always one ‘big’ team which falls into the Championship…

Defeat on Sunday. It’s a tough concept to embrace but the football cliché tells us that the table doesn’t lie, so Tottenham have been the better side in the 30-odd Premier League games so far. I don’t think anyone will argue with that, and the expected collapse hasn’t arrived. Football is cyclical but it looks like all the warnings of doom are coming true this season. You know the ones about dropping out of the Champions League, and finishing below Spurs. You really should be careful what you wish for…

According to the statto’s, this is Wenger’s 50th North London Derby. There have been some absolute belters, and below are my top five:

24th November 1996, Highbury – Arsenal 3 – 1 Spurs

Yeah, I know you’re thinking Bergkamp and Adams but John Lukic rolled back the years. And not always in a good way…

5th May 1999, White Hart Lane

That Kanu goal…

8th April 2001, Old Trafford

We didn’t even let them have the FA Cup as consolation…

15th September 2007, White Hart Lane

If only they’d kept Paul Robinson in goal for longer…

17th November 2012

It happened again. Twice in 2012 and the sum of the digits of 2012 is, of course, 5 and the last number is a 2. 5 – 2; maybe there’s something in this numerology malarkey.

OK, that’s it for today. Enjoy your day and if you get a moment, pop over to Dad’s Jukebox where there’s the second in the series of Jukebox Classics arriving later this morning.

36 thoughts on “Power Shifts and Five of the Best

Morning chums

I’d normally be getting excited for tomorrow’s game by now. Not today though. And not because I’m a misery, before anyone bites…..

Off to Wembley as I type for the boxing. More excited for this than any football match so far this season

2. Arsetralian says:

I was at OT for that s/f so thanks for the memories YW

I just remember what a relaxing game it was to watch. The win was inevitable as was Sol’s move down the 7 sisters

3. Jonny says:

Damon,

Oooo you bastard. Very jealous.

I’m feeling confident and have a cheeky punt on Joshua stopping him inside 5.

4. Orson Kaert says:

Jonny,

All this pre-fight lovey dovey stuff looks synthetic to me. I just hope Joshua isn’t falling for it, Klitschko is a hard, crafty bastard capable of making mincemeat out of the young hopeful if he isn’t truly up for the fight.

5. Orson Kaert says:

Damon, I hope you have a decent seat or if not a pair of powerful binoculars. 😀

6. Orson Kaert says:

Yogi, sorry if this is a bit out of context but the greatest ever NLD was on May 4th. 1971. In the inimitable words of Max Boyce “I know because I was there!”.

@Aaron

From yesterday and I hope you get to read this…

I actually smoke some really highly quality stuff that a mate of mine grows and sells to the local shops in DC.

See here is the thing, over the course of 20 years the FULL 20 years Pop has not just challeneged but won 5 titles. I’m not saying Arsene’s resume is shit but lets be honest, when was the last time Arsene won the titles? Years of CL futbol and what to show for it, I’ll wait…..

Furthermore, you talk about Duncan and Robinson not leaving but lets be honest here, they didn’t leave because Pop kept reinventing the wheel and success came with it. Funny thing is, Duncan almost left for the Orlando Magic but Pop convinced him to stay and they will continue to win, which they did. Now, you speak about Cesc, Henry, RvP and others leaving but they left because it was clear they didn’t think they couls lift silverware at Arsenal. The other thing is that you forget that Pop NEVER NEVER NEVER spent massive amounts of money, actually he spends the minimum (if my memory is correct).

Let me not even get started about team mentality, mental strength and club culture…

The other thing worth noting is that while other NBA franchises were building super teams similar to what Chelsea, Manure and Citeh have done, Pop didn’t and actually consistently beat those teams time and time again. So that is why I said Arsene needs to stop with this, “20 year” bullshit that he keeps spouting because he had a brilliant open decade and well we keep lifting the top 4 trophy ever since.

Jonny,

I fancy AJ inside six, but can only find it at 2:1 or worse. If it goes much further than that I think it plays into Klitchkos hands?

9. Aaron says:

No they left for the $- and Barca or $h*tty.

If Miami or the Lakers came calling with a Brinks load of gold bars they would have walked mate. Sorry, that is just the way it is. But, since the NBA can actually spend whatever they wish on a few players, like Duncan and Robinson etc. they get some of the best players to move regularly.

Don’t get me started on clubs like chavs, $h*tty, manure, psG, barCa, maDrid, and baYern as they have the money to get anyone to walk over to them in a new york minute. Sad truth, yet that is a fact. Now with the cHinese clubs coming in the cycle will continue.

Did not say Pop is not a good coach, please don’t go into the political realm, he is a great coach and no doubt that Arsene is too.
    Not comparing our recent net spend to other clubs- but if one looks objectively at how much other top spending clubs in the EPL have spent in the last decade, not last 3 years, Arsenal are about were they are supposed to be.

Orson Kaert,

I think I’m dead centre behind a goal end, row 20 of the lower deck

About ring height so could only really s better if it were on the halfway line. I don’t like the view from the floor. Especially close. I find it hard to get perspective and see all the ring. Plus, I have excellent peepers and they have big screens too 😉

11. HenryB says:

Hi C and Aaron,

It seems you are both talking about the same thing but seeing the causes and effects differently.
    Not a provable ‘solution’ – different sports, different cultures, just …….. different.
    Honourable draw, methinks.

Incidentally, in a general reflection, it is slightly difficult to compare ‘net transfer costs’ as if one took a one or two year, or even a three year time span for comparing the net spend, unless an allowance is made for the earlier spends the ‘net’ in the allotted number of years can be distorted.

1) Club A spends £300m in years 2009 to 2012.

2) Club B spends £50m in years 2009 to 2012.

— Therefore, if Club A buys players in 2016 for £300m, but now sells the players bought between 2009 to 2012 for £250m then the ‘net’ is [£300m – £250m] = £50m in 2016.

— Alternatively, if Club B buys players in 2016 for £100m, but does not sell any of the players previously bought, then the ‘net’ = £100m, and they appear to have spent far more than Club A in 2016.

The above financial figures are simply for example – as is the time span — but they show that simple ‘net spends’ can be misleading.

Nothing in football is ever as straight forward as it appears.

Yes, Orse, it probably was. However, despite claims which may be made to the contrary, it isn’t one of Arsene’s 50!

Aaron,

Duncan and Robinson were drafted by the Spurs and played their whole careers there. Both were offered max contracts by other NBA teams on several occassions but neither left because they understood they would win and Pop has consistently built and rebuilt and reinvented himself. First with Duncan and Robinson as the famed “Twin Towers” then with Duncan, Parker and Ginobli then now but constantly figured out how to win and challenge year in and year out against teams built to stop them. Cesc didn’t leave for thr money, neither did RvP, Henry, Sagna (others may have), they left to win silverware plain and simple and they were ALL justified because that is exactly what they did.

Looking at the net spend, well that is why I compared Arsenal under Arsene and Spurs under Popovich, both spend maybe less than others but one stays in contention year in and year out and one doesn’t. Thr other thing is the wages that Arsenal spend balance out what other clubs have spent, I mean FFS Jenks and Debuchy didn’t leave because they were on large wages, why?

All I’m saying is I have grown extremely tired of Arsene pounding his chest about 20 years of success when on reality it was his first decade where he reallt won and since has been the top 4 champion which is nothing more than being okay with not lifting the PL title.

14. Aaron says:

No bro, they left for the money, all of them! If you want to argue with the facts then please do it by yourself. Not one of them left for less money than Arsenal were paying them. NONE.

And with no salary cap in EPL, Arsenal have been fighting a losing battle on the player front for a decade.

And lets see in spuds can remain competitive next year when they lose Alli and company to teams that will pay them more.

Your point is well taken and will agree to stop at this point.

ps Klits by KO. Someone will get paid to take a dive….lol

Watching Bayern vs Jonkers Wolfsburg side.

Aaron,

At this point we will have to agree to disagree because while they did get paid more they all left to win trophies, lets be honest. I mean Cesc had just got a shiny new contract .

I would also disagree about fighting a losing battle because while other clubs pay a shit ton, Arsenal are also known for giving young players quite a hefty contract that other clubs don’t do or fringe players like Jenks, Debuchy and others bigger contracts than their status at the club deems.

Good chat but we will agree to disagree.

Its funny, for all the talk of Manzudic and Gomez, I would take both over Giroud and I think their resume speaks for itself.

18. Welsh Corgi Cardigan says:

I know its not any of my business but I’d like to get some plants and grow my own. Any chance you could connect me with your mate and he and I could take?

19. Welsh Corgi Cardigan says:

Darn, should be talk and nothing else😊.

Welsh Corgi Cardigan,

We discuss everything on here mate. I can talk to him and let you know, not sure how he feels sending to nonlocals. But I will for sure let you know.

21. Pistol Fish says:

I agree with C
    They left for trophys not money. They said as much, they achieved as much and any player with serious ambition will continue to do as much.
    As they should, and good for them.

22. Pistol Fish says:

A friend of mine gave me some DP (Durban Poison) seeds last year. He smuggled them in 20 odd years ago.
    Grew a few bushes year in my garden last season. Very delightful stuff, if you can keep the squirrels away from it.

23. HenryB says:

I hear you, C, finances are the death knell of blogs — 2 + 2 = 5 as everyone knows! 😀

Mind you, C — you ask, ‘Jenks and Debuchy didn’t leave because they were on large wages, why?’ well that may be answered by — ‘they have not left —– yet’. 🙂

24. Orson Kaert says:

YW,

That is an indisputable fact, but it is widely acknowledged that the mental strength shown by the Arsenal boys that night was a major factor in Wenger’s decision, twenty odd years later, to join our great club as manager.

Acknowledged by whom, I hear you ask, well me for one!

25. wilberforce says:

Hi guys
    I’m in Turkey and desperate to watch the Joshua fight. Does any one have any streams I could use?

Thanks COYG !!

26. wilberforce says:

Hi guys

Thanks COYG !!

27. Orson Kaert says:

That was some fight, the ref stops it in the eleventh round Joshua is the winner.

28. Jonny says:

Crikey that was very dramatic. Amazing stuff.
    Joshua got lucky there but was a worthy winner in the end.
    Huge heart from both fighters.

Yogi

Thanks for the memories. One of my favorite North London derby games was a game we won 5-4 in the 04/05 season.

HenryB,

You are so right, they haven’t left yet and because of that any talk of other clubs out spending us should be reminded that players like Valencia of Manure or Moses, both key figures at their respective clubs for respective years are on wages smaller than, by all reports, wages.

Pistol Fish,

Mate, that is some good stuff. Truly enjoy that and long may your bushes continue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

32. Welsh Corgi Cardigan says:

Thanks C, appreciate it😊.