Arsène’s Summer: Seismic Or Meek?

Morning Campers! I’m not sure about The Rapture coming but Arsène’s observations about adding to the backroom staff will have been as popular as an Earthquake at 6pm this evening.

According to the manager,

The problem when you don’t win is to always raise the right questions. Those who win the games are those on the football pitch and not those who talk in the stands.

I have enough experience to know what is important and what is less than important. It will be difficult to find a coach who teaches me how to manage a football team.

That will go down well. Quite why Arsène does not understand that as supporters our opinions count is baffling. That is without even starting on the arrogance of the man, how dare he finish fourth consistently and then presume that it is hard to find someone who teaches him to manage Arsenal. It’s easy.

I understand the point but am not convinced it travels well. There is a need to bring on board a focus on defensive frailties, these have been woefully exposed this season.

The issue is about who teaches him to manage the club but one aspect of it. Admirable as the attacking play is, some sacrifice to that is necessary to address a problem that the manager admits has existed for several years. The solution might be as simple as putting the point across in a different way.

His philosophy for the players this summer is shaped already, based upon value for money. Certainly the media have taken this to heart with Gary Cahill at £17m now out of Arsenal’s reach, instead another young French defender, Bruno Ecule Manga, taking over as the latest ‘gem to be unearthed‘ (© tiredfootballcliches plc).

The first piece of business will be Samir Nasri’s contract. The departure of Matthieu Flamini burned deeply into Wenger’s psyche,

We will sort that situation out quickly after the end of the season. We need to know very quickly. We do not want to do that [allow them to leave on a free like Flamini]. We won’t allow that to happen. It has to be resolved before the season starts again.

Absolutely and the same principle applies to your captain as well. Both players need to show their intentions to allow the manager to plan for the coming campaign by either signing a new deal or ruling out a move this summer.

The latter is more difficult to manage since Fàbregas is not a high playing priority for Barcelona, a signing that soothes their inflated ego more than anything else. He will not rule out a move to them publicly, behind the scenes no doubt his entourage will give encouragement.

Yet realism dictates that unless a bid close to Arsenal’s valuation is forthcoming, Barcelona will only try to destabilise the player in the hope he will agitate for a move. That is not going to happen as overtly as they hope. Cesc does not need to make a public declaration of his intent, private will suffice. That is the loyalty he owes his manager. I would witter on about loyalty to the club but from players, I find it to be an overused and empty phrase.

Back to this summer. Wenger once more put himself at odds with the naysayers,

We need to add, of course, and we will do. But we have a strong base.

Judging by some of the comments you read, no they have not. He sought to prove it but forgot to add a proviso,

We have enough quality to beat anyone in the world, even with the current squad. You have a Champions League Final and only one team has beaten both of them and that is Arsenal.

The proviso? Valencia are the only other team to have played both this season. Not a great choice of justification really. The real one came with a dose of realism,

We have a good team and the best away team [in the Premier League]. The loss of the Carling Cup Final had a huge impact on the team and we did not handle it well. It is not catastrophic and do not think we can go to Coventry and find the player who saves Arsenal Football Club

Too often the miracle cure is of an ‘English spine‘ yet the pool of talent is this country is perilously thin. Very few players will genuinely make a different. Most, such as Scott Parker, would be a sticking plaster at best and how long that lasts is unknown.

Many linked to Arsenal are simply not good enough, some not even English! I find the obsession with nationality baffling. Patrick Vieira had the right attitude, he was not English. It is the attitude which is more important this summer, not the passport. If that sounds like Wenger talking, tough, get over it.

Would Scott Parker have changed the outcome of the past months? We’ll never know but West Ham have not shown the fighting spirit required to get out of being relegated. It’s not down to Parker but if he could not motivate his current colleagues, how can anyone prove he would do so at Arsenal?

135 thoughts on “Arsène’s Summer: Seismic Or Meek?

1. dukeGoonem says:

I actually dont think Denilson is shit, just he is a cunt for walking out on the team and is a fukin cheeky git to have the audacity to say he is off to win trophies having contributed little to our chances of winning.

Frank everyone is a cunt to you who dares say anything negative about Arsenal.

2. william says:

agree poodle. I remember that guy playing quite well against us, making many a foray forward and causing us trouble.
    This Cahill deal reminds me of Lescott. City paid what, almost 20 mil for that guy? Now they want 17 mil for Cahill. Anyone notice the major inflation on English players? Darren “7 goals this campaign” Bent cost 24 million. That is 3 million currency units for 1 goal people. More currency units then i will most likely ever acquire for a single goal. City must have spent around 15-20 mil on players like Milner and Barry. I’ll take Koscielney at a cool 8 million anytime please.

3. william says:

Duke has Denilson contributed any less to our lack of trophies than say, Cesc Fabregas? How about Wilshere? If anything Denilson was sitting on the bench itching to play whilst the first XI pulled off a couple draws in a row.

4. william says:

Also remember that the story was posted by a journalist. My mother (retiring teacher)gave an interview to the local news station this past week and they edited the fuck out of the interview.

5. dukeGoonem says:

I have to hand it to Denilson he is a smart guy, everything he said in his last interviews are bang on, and by the sound of them it shows he has leadership qualities….but what happened to him showing them on the pitch. truth is he has pissed people off with these quotes , if he came out and just said he wants to play them there would not be a problem i dont think.

6. william says:

That is fair Duke. I agree that he had, and failed, the opportunity to be a vocal leader on the pitch. Just remember for every trackback failure there was a 30 yard rocket into the back of the net.

7. dukeGoonem says:

by the way poodle, if you check the aclf link someone put up from 09 you will see me saying nice things about Denilson. so to say i have been slagging him off for years is wrong.

8. Henristic says:

I have no doubt he’ll go on to have a career in Italy or Spain. He was never the eye catching type of player and may never be considered outstanding, but he is certainly decent.

9. Nasir Jones-Nasri says:

My goodness stop being so gullible and taking everything you read as gospel, duke.

10. Henristic says:

In some ways Denilson reminds me of Carrick, or even Xavi, without the long range passing ability (on the other hand, he does have a better shot than Xavi).
    Not the strongest or most athletic, but with good engine and an ability to read the game, make timely interceptions and keep things ticking. Unfortunately he could never get the space and time that Xavi had, to develop into the sort of gem Xavi is today. Certainly not in a league like the PL and in a club like ours under the current climate.
    Small wonder that Carrick gets a lot of stick by United fans. In spite of that he’s been a relatively regular fixture in their midfield this season.

11. dukeGoonem says:

Thats a good idea NJN i’ve just started reading the bible.

12. dukeGoonem says:

agree he is more suited to spanish or italian football for sure.

13. Nasir Jones-Nasri says:

“I suppose we can just add that to the ever growing list of unexplainable decisions by Wenger”

Please elaborate on this ever growing list, Henristic.

14. dukeGoonem says:

seriously though NJN thats all us fans have to go on, littel snippets of quotes from interviews, we are not likely to sit next to him on a bus and have a convo with him about why he is leaving. seing the ” above a sentance is liable if the person never said it isnt it.

15. Henristic says:

Unfortunately, too many fans will remember him for been outrun by a ref when we were being counterattacked by manu. That was a terrible, terrible piece of play from him, and its the sort of thing that tips the scale against a player that wasn’t too popular to start with.

But that incident is indicative of the attitude of too many of our players, over the last few seasons. Our players don’t take personal responsibility of dealing with danger consistently enough and too often we see instances of that lack of fight and aggression. I really really hope we work on that over the summer.

16. dupsffokcuf says:

It was more to do with Denilson’s confidence after the rancid abuse he received from Arsenal fans.

17. Henristic says:

Nasir Jones-Nasri | May 21, 2011 at 11:41 pm |

Please elaborate on this ever growing list, Henristic.

I could, but I really can’t be bothered, especially considering its you asking. You never contribute anything of significance to a discussion anyways so whats the point?

18. Nasir Jones-Nasri says:

That’s what I thought, Henristic. Put your money where your mouth is or shut the fuck up, son.

19. OneOfUs says:

That’s excellent, dups – hope it’s true. Massive climbdown by Pearce if so.

20. Henristic says:

Dups,
    I don’t believe that for a moment. Do you realize how soft and childish you make him seem by trying to blame fans for his confidence? This was a guy that grew up in pretty rough circumstances and you want to tell me he couldn’t do his job anymore because of some idiots abusedhim on twitter?

There is no way any arsenal player is that soft. To put it in some context, what about players in countries where they are constantly racially abused from the stands (sometimes even by their own fans).

21. Henristic says:

NJN,
    lol. You never fail to disappoint.

22. OneOfUs says:

A good day for the club then – Arsenal Ladies played some good stuff in the final.

23. dupsffokcuf says:

I never mentioned twitter Henristic. He got abuse during games as well. Just like Song did but Song had the chance to play and improve Denilson had a bad back injury and got less playing time.

24. Nasir Jones-Nasri says:

Glad I was able to provide you with some amusement, Henristic. You usually come across as being quite miserable and could probably use a good laugh or two. I offered you the chance to have a little chat and back up your rubbish and you declined, don’t change the subject. Let’s see that list you’re on about, Manchesteristic.

25. Henristic says:

I hope that Mirror report is true, Dups. Wilshere and the team would benefit from having a normal preseason, without such silly interruptions for once.

26. Henristic says:

Dups,
    Does it matter how Denilson got the abused? My point is that its a bit silly to suggest that the abuse rendered him useless at his job. We know his abusers are despicable cunts, but what does it say about his character if you’re right?

His back injury was last season and he has gone on to play quite a few times this season, especially in the early CC/FAC/CL games.
    He was in the team that destroyed Man City, and was outstanding in that game (like everyone else). I don’t recall seeing any signs of a back injury then?

He has had 32 appearances this season including 20 starts, which is not too bad. The problem is that he hasn’t featured much in games at the ‘business’ end of the season.

27. Henristic says:

NJN,

Me miserable? You obviously never read your own posts.

You offered me the chance to chat? Lmao, when have you EVER chatted with anyone about football on this blog?

Heh, at least I got you to write more than one sentence, heck even a full paragraph! Granted filled with abuse and name calling instead of football, but its a start, right?

28. dupsffokcuf says:

Henristic

“The problem is that he hasn’t featured much in games at the ‘business’ end of the season.”

And how well did we do in the business end of the season?

29. Nasir Jones-Nasri says:

The content, length and freqeuncy of my posts on this blog is irrelevant. Stop whining and provide us with the list already so we can talk some football.

30. Henristic says:

dupsffokcuf | May 22, 2011 at 12:43 am |

Henristic

And how well did we do in the business end of the season?

Not very well at all. Now you may understand my original point as stated in my 11.24 post;

“I often wondered why Denilson wasn’t brought in more often to help close out games this season. I mean his most obvious unique skill is his ability to help keep possession and we needed just that in quite a few games. I suppose we can just add that to the ever growing list of unexplainable decisions by Wenger. “

31. Henristic says:

Nasir Jones-Nasri | May 22, 2011 at 12:58 am |

List? I already told you I couldn’t be bothered. Why do you need a list from me to talk football? Might that be because you don’t really have much to say?
    If you really need something to comment on, Dups and I have been having a discussion about Denilson. Feel free to contribute.
    Or you could give your thoughts about Yogi’s post. I don’t really care either way…

32. Nasir Jones-Nasri says:

That’s a laughable response, Henristic. For the future you may want to lay off the hyperbole if you can’t step up to the plate.