Arsenal Prove A Different Class To Vanquish Leeds

FA Cup 3rd Round Replay
Leeds United 1 – 3 Arsenal

0 – 1 Nasri (4)
0 – 2 Sagna (34)
1 – 2 Johnson (37)
1 – 3 van Persie (76)

Arsenal maintained their record of never having lost an FA Cup tie at Elland Road with a comfortable victory last night. It was a scoreline which flattered the hosts, Arshavin and Bendtner failed to apply finishing touches from close range which would have put the gap between the two sides into proper perspective.

Leeds worked hard but found themselves up against a more balanced Arsenal side than in the original tie, one that was in better form and one determined to answer its critics with a win. The returning Bacary Sagna gave more balance to the Arsenal right hand side, supporting Nicklas Bendtner and allowing the Dane to move inside more readily, knowing that he had support outside of him if required.

Equally Samir Nasri dominated proceedings. The Frenchman continued his imperious form, prompting Arsenal attacks whilst not shirking his defensive duties. That was the underlying theme of the Arsenal performance; teamwork. They attacked as a team, defended as a team.

The distribution, particularly in the first half, was as good as it has been all season with rarely a pass wasted. Djourou and Koscielny had the Leeds forwards subdued, closing gaps as quickly as they opened, passing their way out of trouble confidently and with a minimum of fuss. Whilst Nasri was voted Man of the Match, either of the centre backs could quite easily have been awarded that accolade.

Part of the reason for the comfortable nature of the win was the early goal. Arshavin fed the ball into the centre, an unintended Chamakh dummy and thirty seconds later, Nasri had calmly run through the Leeds defence to put the ball past Schmeichel. Whilst it might only be the Juniors in the Leeds goal and defence, there is still something satisfying about Arsenal making a mockery of Bruce and Schmeichel.

The lead should have been doubled five minutes later, Chamakh headed a Nasri free kick firmly towards the bottom corner, Schmeichel flicking the ball firmly up into the air before safely gathering a tame effort immediately after. With the halfway mark in the first half not even reached, Arshavin had missed the opportunity to double the lead, shooting over from the edge of the area following good work from Nasri and Chamakh.

The Russian did everything but score last night, failing to meet a Chamakh cross when a touch on the ball would have brought the end of his barren run. Had Snodgrass not made a timely interception in the second half, Arshavin was ready to pounce and his air shot showed what would have happened. Arshavin though, ran himself into the ground, chasing after passes and defending from the front. If he has borne the brunt of criticism recently, he should receive praise for last night.

Arshavin was not the only one missing from close range; Bendtner followed suit following good work from Sagna. The defender was peeved with that miss to the extent that he hammered home a shot with half an hour played, the Leeds defence giving him space to shoot and the Frenchman duly obliged.

Not that the two-goal advantage lasted for long; Arsenal were unconvincing in clearing the ball, Howson scrabbled the ball to Johnson who delivered the ‘shot of a lifetime‘ for the second game running apparently. 2 – 1 and Leeds were marginally back in the match.

They could have been out of it within sixty seconds of the restart, Alex Song bringing a good save from Schmeichel, the ensuing corner fizzling out. Nasri then brought the Dane into action from a free kick, Fabregas would later have the goalkeeper clasping at air as his effort swept over the wall and marginally wide.

On the hour mark, Leeds briefly threatened. Paynter missed in a similar fashion to Bendtner and Arshavin in the first half whilst his replacement, Somma, kneed wide when it was possibly easier to score. Arsenal’s subsitute’s carried more threat and highlighted the gulf between the two sides; van Persie and Fabregas replaced Chamakh and Arshavin. Ken Bates’ ill-advised jibes beforehand were rammed down his throat when the Dutchman rose majestically to meet Bendtner’s cross, placing the ball where Schmeichel had been and into the net.

It was a win that was made to look easy by the hard work that the side put in. For Arsene, the starting XI last night is a good bet for the forthcoming Carling Cup tie against Ipswich, more balanced with Nasri in midfield and Sagna supporting Bendtner.

170 thoughts on “Arsenal Prove A Different Class To Vanquish Leeds

1. Gadget says:

I want Titi to just retire, come home and coach the team! All this malarky about loan spells and such, pfft.

2. Geo says:

Gunman, I know what you’re saying. But Terry and Vidic don’t play in a team that constantly relies on their CBs to start off attacking moves. Terry and Vidic more often than not just try to pass to their full backs, whereas at Arsenal, every player needs to have the ball control, passing and composure for our style to work… We get closed down very quickly compared to other teams, wheich means that our CBs (as much as any other player) need to be confident that they can play their way out from the back. I’m no expert though, so you may well be right, and a big old clogger could work – doubt Wenger would think so though!

3. Markus says:

Geo, Of course RvP used to play on the right. He was signed as a right winger who Arsene developed into one of the greatest Centre-Forwards in the world. Same as he did with Henry and will do with Walcott in years to come.

4. Gainsbourg69 says:

Limestone:
    “When some people talk about a leader on the pitch, they always imagine someone yelling at the other players when they make mistakes. Sometimes it takes leadership to step forward and put an arm around a player who has made a mistake and tell them to forget it, play your game and we’ll all make up for it. Maybe being stern has its place, but a leader might also exhort his teammates to focus and concentrate when they are down–that was in fact the incident that the Brazilian interviewer cited, when Sol pulled everyone together after Ramsey’s leg was broken and helped get the team over the initial shock and back into the game with even greater determination.”

That’s pretty much what I took from the interview. Denilson basically said that there isn’t a leader in the classical sense at Arsenal since everyone came of age at the same time and everyone treats eachother as equals. And if you know Wenger’s philosophy you’d know how much he emphasizes the collective amongst his squad. This, apart from the fact that our players are good lads, is the reason why we don’t have players punching eachother or sleeping with eachother’s wives. Further, the interviewer was wrong about Sol Campbell pulling the team together after Ramsey cracked his leg. Cesc was there with the captain’s arm band and from what I remember he rallied the troops to get the win. All in all it was just a shit question from that Brazilian doomer which Denilson should’ve dismissed as the shit stirring attempt it was.

5. Gadget says:

I don’t know Maria, Big Phil (bless his heart) he looked like he had a touch of the Valuev in him!

It’ll be good to see him again next season, even if it is in the wrong shirt

6. Geo says:

Fair enough Markus, didn’t know Wenger had worked his magic on RvP too! Another great successful transition – there’s also Toure from Right Midfield to CB..! I stand corrected 🙂

7. IndianGooner says:

GB69,
    Cesc was indeed rallying the team but Sol’s energy and “shouting” was what made the team make that extra bit of effort which made for the win..

8. Gadget says:

Before I run off home, I just want to reiterate how much I love the fact we’re taking shots from everywhere, both in and out of the penalty box – even Chammy had an attempt. All that over elaboration must have been part of a genius training regime – just to make sure we could do it (excellent ball control skills people). The boss is taking the leash off the team now!

9. Finnish Hit says:

“No, don’t think so Finnish – he used to play him as one of the strikers in the old 442. He may well have drifted right”

Thanks Geo, I guess that was the case. Definitely he did drift to the right.

But wait a minute… Who did we play on the right when the 4-3-3 started? I remember that it was surprising, because we then were able to kick a long high ball to that freeish (is that a word?) area, and the player could take it down and protect the ball until the others got in. It was very un-Wengerball-like.

I can’t think of anyone else to do that than Robin. I even have a feeling that that was the reason he turned out on the right for the Dutch team, too.

10. Gunner4Ever says:

Arshavin….

I hope some of our astute fans are not thinking that giving Arshavin the “Eboue treatment” will yield the “Eboue Response”.

They’re both human beings, but they’re different personalities and their response to this kind of treatment may be completely different.

I’m not necessarily blaming that small group of fans either, because every human being has a different level of patience. What I urge them to do is to be a bit more patient when an individual player has a dip in form or struggling to perform. I think Arsene sees enough from him at training to put him on the team sheet, I think it’s obvious Arshavin is trying but nothing is working for him at the moment.

Even in his worst form, I bet defenders loath the sight of him running at them with the ball. It’s not working now, but it worked before and it will work for him in the future….Just let him be.

11. mj_gunner says:

Goonerandy at 3:51 pm
    Guess when did they last play together? Yes, Wigan at home..result? An easy 2-0 to us
    We almost played a 4-2-4!

12. Gainsbourg69 says:

Gunman: “Its amazing how the pendulum swings with us fans.High praises for Kos and JD today.It only takes one mistake for people to ask for their heads.”

You can exclude most of us here from your generalization. If you notice, whenever anyone trashes our players after a bad performance they are taken to task right away.

Vidic and Terry are ball playing CB’s as well. Have you ever seen Terry dribble deep into the opposition half or Vidic playing a pass to one of his strikers? We don’t need lumps who can’t pass the ball more than five feet infront of them.

13. mj_gunner says:

at Geo | January 20, 2011 at 4:09 pm |

As far as I remember RVP, started his career with us as a left winger, was conveerted to a striker with time.. similar to the Reyes mould..

14. Muppet says:

I think that the furore over the leadership debate should not be easily dismissed. We know that every successful team has a great leader. We know also that sheep follow leaders. In our case, our team is full of french sheep. This makes a great leader imperative. The leader should be white, anglo saxon, tall and capable of expressing english vernacular in the most idiomatic way. This will bring together the non anglo saxon elements of the team, particularly the franco, african franco elements.

When Rooney and Berbatov attack, there needs to be incisive communication that at the moment is not delivered by the franco/african franco back 4. At the moment, when there is a threat, the reaction to that threat is a bit like my cats reaction to somebody they don’t know. The cats becomes friendly. You see, people of english origin, particularly saxon, we can discount norman influences in this conversation, regard everybody as their natural enemies, including in some case fellow saxons. This is exactly the attitude that a born leader (of saxon origin) would engender into the peace loving and open franco/ african franco arsenal defence.

The other point is the cultural demographic. When the franco/african goes back to their housing estates in North London and Paris, there is a loss of identity. The anglo saxon on the other hand stays in the area, and identifies with the local indigenous population. Andy Carroll is a prime example of this type of bond. The result is an unbreakable and indefinable connection between the community, the supporters and the club. One that will bring many trophies.

15. Gainsbourg69 says:

We started with Bendtner on the right against Everton the first day of the 4-3-3 two seasons ago.

You are making my point for me Indian Gooner. It wasn’t just Sol Campbell who rallied the troops. He was up clapping and what not but it was Cesc who took the game to Stoke. Arsenal don’t have one leader, we have 11 of them.

16. mj_gunner says:

John Terry is the best CB in the league?? Are you FUCKING kidding me??

17. Gainsbourg69 says:

Terry ain’t shit without Carvalho. I’m pretty sure Capello knows this.

18. mj_gunner says:

Thomas Vermaelen is the next Sol Campbell.

19. mj_gunner says:

you are killing me..Muppet LMAO!

20. Gainsbourg69 says:

Muppet doesn’t mess around. Even when he delves into anthropology he comes out smelling like roses.

21. merlot says:

That’s leadership.

Are you implying that the Geordie ‘community’ is a bunch of violent piss artists who can’t keep their hands off their girlfriends, their arses on barstools or keep away from drug parties, Muppet?

23. Ole Gunner says:

Arsenal have had to roll out Wenger, Gibbs, Nasri, Wilshere & Cesc to reassure the public of Cesc’s leadership. That alone shows how boneheaded Denilson was.

But I’ll get over it 🙂

Onwards rolls the Arsenal juggernaut. The next month will be crucial. We have ‘tricky’ ties against Newcastle, Everton & Sunderland, sandwiched between possible FA Cup ties, the cracker against Barca, and a possible Milk Cup final. Then we have to go to Shite Hart Lane.

The squad will have to come through fully. In very simple terms, the next 5-6 weeks will define our season. That’s something people say much too often and too flippantly about Arsenal. But now it’s true.

24. viceologist says:

I made a few comments early on in the season expressing my opinion that the Arsenal would get healthy at the right time this year and hit their peak when it is needed most. I feel as though we are on the cusp of that peak right now.

A little luck from the injury gods and we will be unplayable from here on out…COYG!

That’s fair Ole. It has been interesting how those who questioned Denilson’s sense are now dubbed Denilson haters by some.

A lack of perspective on here sometimes. I have never criticised the man as a player but think he was boneheaded on this occasion.

But I’ll get over it.

26. FinnGun says:

At the beginning of the season I certainly wasn’t as positive and farsighted as viceologist. About our hitting our peak about now, I mean. I was expecting something like 2011-12. … And I wouldn’t have been too disappointed. I mean, we really so clearly are the good guys. David vs Goliath set in the Billionaire Period of Football (English version). Robin Hood and James Dean. Talent and youth against the Establishment. COYG

27. Paul N says:

I remember those comments Vice.

The team is coming together quite nicely, just in time to dethrone Barca I say.

28. Two Owls says:

Bonehead, is the word Ole. I could think of other applications, but, Denilson has always confused me. There are times that I have thought Denilson has played with solidness with the occasional goal. In fact, he appeared as one of the stronger players on the pitch. However, those types of performances have been interspersed with an attitude that can only be described as lack lustre without any zeal to get behind the ball when possession is lost. (He had a reasonable game against Leeds.)

I do not class myself as a Denilson hater Consuls but perhaps more appropriately as a person who has at times thought of him as extraordinary and at other times as a complete loss on the pitch. Very mixed in my mind that is for sure. Ambivalent to say the least. If the word delicate applies to any Arsenal player, then I might be inclined to use that word to describe Denilson whose psychological make-up is easily tipped. We have seen this player actually collapse on the pitch on more than one occasion. Yet, we all know that Denilson is capable of more.

This most recent incident, in which, Denilson has been involved off the pitch, has given me pause to think. If there is an iota of truth to the matter regarding the incident then Denilson is a very silly young man. That, unfortunately, applies to all of us in the full flower of our youth, talk before we think. He can make up for that mistake by putting his football mind in full gear!

29. Evil says:

As for Denilson’s work rate. Is he not (or wasn’t he like one or two seasons ago?) the one player in our team who would usually cover the most ground? I think I remember seeing that statistic pop up in CL games quite a few times. Has anybody access to the numbers to reassure/disprove me?

30. Gadget says:

nice one Karim! Our reserve away fans are singing loud and clear!

31. Gainsbourg69 says:

Two Owls, Denilson hasn’t reached the form he was in two years ago becaue he’s carrying a back injury. Against Leeds he pulled up because of his lower back, which means his back is still an issue for him after more than a year and a half. Regarding the whole hullabaloo about leadership, his comments were benign but were turned upside down. There’s really nothing more to say about that. You either believe the interview or learn portuguese and find out in which context things were said.

32. OneOfUs says:

Thanks for the link, Karim.

Not sure ATVO’s ever this biased towards Arsenal!

33. Finnish Hit says:

@merlot: “Nice moment last nice when Arshavin had one of his frustrated (and frustrating) attempts on goal and Nasri ran across and gave him an encouraging pat on the back of the head.”

An excellent reminder! It was a special moment and something so lovely (if you can say things like that in football) about team evolution. One year ago, SN wouldn’t have felt big enough to do it. Now he has been fantastic, knows it, and wasn’t it just beautiful the way he, like you said, gave him the encouraging pat. But not patronising. To me, it was mesmerising.

It was not a casual “oh well”, it wasn’t a “get up now pal”, it was not an “I’m the captain tonight, I’m doing it for the cameras”. It was not about friendship. It was about working together onwards. It was about two world class professionals who totally respect each other. It was about SN knowing, much better than us, what AA can do. Which is to be able to do the heroic stuff when his day comes.

It was my Moment Of The Match. Maybe slightly unfair, because Sagna’s goal (and is he the player of the season so far?) made me have the “I’m not going to cry or have tears and definitely no wet eyes at all” reflexes thing. Bravo.

34. IndianGooner says:

I agree with GB69.. Denilson still seems to struggle with his back injury.. Just like the one Gilberto had..

35. poodle says:

Mybe denilson was a bit naieve yes. Both him and the idiot that posted te interveew without editing it. Sometimes it seems like their age gets the better of em. at 22 maybe you sometimes think more about being the nice guy that gives interwies to make the fans happy than about the fct they can misuse your kindness.

I think this has thought denilson not to speak to fansites again as most only want publicity and does not really care wheter it puts the player and the club in a bad light or not.

36. goonerandy says:

37. Gunner4Ever says:

I can’t believe how much time we spend defending our own players on here?

Sometimes you have players in your squad that you don’t like and wish they would go away, for me it was Gallas, but you can’t harp on it all day and night because the decision for this player to leave or stay is not in your hands.

So if you don’t like Denilson, Bendtner, Arshavin or whomever….just get over it.

38. Two Owls says:

Poodle, y0ur sentiments are worth repeating to others. Cheers, and let Denilson be the centre of the remainder of the season.

39. Finsbury says:

“That’s what happens when you train with Mozart…”

I thought the same thing after Bendtner’s assist/cross.

40. Two Owls says:

Gainsbourg69…A back that is not functioning at optimum is a very strong impediment when acting up. I can attest to that!

Why don’t we send Denilson to the Witch Doctor who treated Robin with Horse Placentae. Actually, I am told there is a business in Canada for this sort of treatment. I do not know the science behind this thinking so I best clam up.

41. Gainsbourg69 says:

WTF, Andy? Let Finnish have that touching moment in peace.

My heartfelt moment of the match was watching Van Persie exchange shirts with Leeds youngster Sam Lloyd. He asked Robin for his shirt and was taken aback when Robin asked him for his. It was a nice touch that shows how cool our players are.

Poodle, I don’t think Denilson should stop giving interviews to fan sites. What he should do is bone up on what the doomers are saying about Arsenal. Personally, I wouldn’t have asked him about a lack of leadership or brought up the whole you can’t win with kids nonsense. I would’ve asked him about his injury, his role in the team and other concrete matters.

42. Gainsbourg69 says:

Two Owls, tell me about it. My friend tweaked his back playing field hockey a year ago and now he walks like an old man despite the fact that he’s in his early thirties. Back injuries are no joke. Denilson’s injury is probably why we’ve seen so much more of Jack this season than intended. And I guarantee you that Clichy’s back injury is why Eboue is being deployed at left back.

The placenta didn’t work. Robin was so taped up in South Africa that he could’ve easily been mistaken for a mummy.

43. Finnish Hit says:

@goonerandy: “Getting a bit carried away there Finnish. That sort of encouraging pat on the head goes on from School football upwards. Team mates do that sort of thing to each other all the time.”

Thanks for the notion–and that was exactly what I meant! Can we see that in super-professional football anymore? Normally not. But on that occasion, yes.

44. goonerandy says:

Broken leg for one of ours in the Chelsea match?

45. NJGooner says:

man, some great posts today.

excellent result last night. Nasri truly talismanic..

COYG

46. Jeff Blockleys shorts says:

The truth is if everyone is fit Wenger would never in a million years start Denilson or Bendtner v Barcelona

47. FunGunner says:

So TV should be playing in six weeks.

48. Paul N says:

I am struggling to find your point Jeff, all teams play their best players when they play the best teams. However, if we need to be reminded (again), Denilson was one of the most important players agaisnt Barca in the first leg. I dare say he is one of the players I believe is suited to play Barcelona. He will not be allowed to get pushed over from behind like in the PL and he has great anticipation which is what you need with the way Barcelona play.

But I digress

49. goonerandy says:

Jeff means if everybody is fit Denilson is behind both Diaby and Wilshere in the pecking order it seems. When one of those have been fit, they have played while he was on the bench. And rightly so, as they are both are better players in my humble opinion. Denilson is a good squad player to have without doubt though.

50. OneOfUs says:

Just listened to Football Weekly, and the Arsenal sympathiser on there said that there’s a tendency for Arsenal fans to go too far with both praise and criticism of certain players in the team. I really agree with this.

Over the last five years one of the best things about using the internet as an Arsenal supporter is being able to watch the individual highlights that are occasionally posted on youtube. You get to see important work that gets lost in the flow of the match when you watch it live. I think many people would be surprised if they saw a video of say Denilson or Arshavin’s performance last night.

51. Ole Gunner says:

OOU,

I’ve been saying that for 7,8 years now. One of my grouses with the media has always been that. The criticism of Arsenal is excessive and ridiculous. The praise when we play well and win sometimes makes me feel like taking a shower.

I was SHOCKED to see how many ‘reasonable’ people on twitter were saying Arshavin should be sold just for being slightly off form.

52. Ole Gunner says:

Maria,

Your points about Bac really made me happy. He’s criminally underrated. He’s quite simply our best defender by far. And he’s never below a ‘7’ in his performance. His attitude is spot on, and his quiet belief and confidence in his team mates is rare in modern footballers.

WHY DO WE NOT HAVE A PROPER CHANT FOR HIM?

53. Nasir Jones-Nasri says:

Bwhahahah. Hilarious stuff, Muppet. Reading that just turned a frown upside down.

54. Paul N says:

GA, I actually understand what is being said but it means nothing. Wenger will play who he feels is the best as do all managers.

Its just a dig at Denilson.

55. ZimPaul says:

YW should really do a mid-term headmasters report, reminding us all what was said and perceived as ‘challenges’ and ‘bright spots’ back in August.

In brief, however, we are in contention for all four cups, itself a very big achievement (hence we remain the only ones), we have a tangible chance to win the EPL this year (as Wenger said cleverly, “it’s ours to win”), we are in fine fettle on the field and playing some majestic football amidst the more laboured efforts, we seem to have overcome to some degree our early season defensive concerns, Kos has been a success anyway, Djourou has barely put a foot wrong, we appear to have three excellent keepers and the two Poles have surprised and delighted (Almunia the third), we have two of best left backs around and the best right back, Wilshere has emerged as a really exciting player, Song is being touted as the best defensive midfielder in the EPL (although he is not, yet anyway), RvP is fit and scoring, Cesc seems happier, Samir is being openly described as the player of the EPL, Walcott is growing up and with it becoming a ‘big’ player (10 goals so far this season, excellent), we have depth everywhere and in every position except CB, we have immense young players with considerable first team status (like, ahem, Denilson, Ramsey, Bendtner, Vela), we have Diaby, and we have some really thrilling matches and adventures coming up.

A lot of this, but not all, can change in just 2 weeks and 3 or 4 poor results. C’est la vie. But for now, for today, one can reach a conclusion to say Arsenal-life is not so bad, hey? Chin up then everybody. Aluta continua.

56. ZimPaul says:

Folks who say or think Denilson, Bendtner and Diaby maybe are not quite up to it have forgotten the “Song story”, not so many seasons ago, and a few others too. There are reasons why Arsenal rates Denilson and Bendtner.

In any event, I think both, especially Denilson play fantastic football.

57. Dgob says:

I wonder about the comparison between Denilson and some USA war veterans. It occured to me that the back injury that Denilson suffered was in the field of battle on behalf of his club. Similarly, many US veterans suffered psychological damage in the cause of their country while fighting in Vietnam.

The link: when both returned from their injuries they found an unsympathic and largely unsupportive home-coming.

The distinction: Denilson was fighting in a cause for which all gooners gave their support.

It sickens me!

58. goonerandy says:

The “Song story” is indeed a shining beacon. I still remember that game against Fulham when he looked completely out of his lge. I have always had 100% faith in Arsene, but remember thinking that this guy is simply not good enough to play for us (as much as I did like him).

Look at him now, I worry when he is not playing and has developed into of of the most effective players in the PL. If Denilson and Bendtner make the same jump that he did, I will really enjoy eating my delisious humble pie. I really will. I have nothing against either, I just don’t rate them as highly as others. It would be amazing if they steped up like Song did.

59. goonerandy says:

The club has gave no indication that Denilson is suffering from a back injury. he has in the past, but is fine (in that respect now). Stop making excuses for him. Not that you should need to as most think he is playing well anyway.

60. goonerandy says:

Heh.

Denilson – Vietnam Vet. (You were not there man!!!!)

Amazing stuff.

61. ponyboy says:

Muppet : Nice one, but feeling pedantic… the “English” are/ were infact Angles, with a mix of Jutes, Danes and Saex (Saxons were known thereby by their short swords, or Saex’s [ Nothing to do with Saxony]. Infact, the ‘real’ English are the Britons, such as the Iceni, Trinnovantii etc etc. Also, the so-called ‘Norman’ conquest was infact a conquest by the Vikr (vikings) who had invaded what is now Normandy, mixed with the Goths and Franks, led by Clovis and later Charlemagne. So who are the English ?

And, please PLEASE let ManUre lose a fu#king game very soon. And may Pubis develop a serious disease, beyond his megalomania, and die in pain.
    Love and Peace!