Fulham (H) Preview – Three Points Required

Fulham pitch up at The Emirates, the return of the fixture that suggested this season would not be quite so straightforward as the hope that the summer months brings, suggested.

Injuries once more dominate, no-one of note returning but unsurprisingly, an returnee has dropped out. Abou Diaby knacked his calf in midweek and rather like Eduardo, is missing straight away. But that was quickly superseded by yesterday’s news that Diaby is fit once more.

Andrei Arshavin will return to the side following his midweek rest, perhaps more prepared for a longer turn-out than the sixty minutes or so he got against Sunderland. Certainly, he will hoping for a more productive outcome for the team. That will not necessarily be so straightforward although it would be nice if Fulham rolled over in the same manner that they did at Old Trafford recently.

I would not envisage Wenger making too many changes from midweek, perhaps other than Arshavin in for Eboue and Song for Diaby, surely Arsene will not want to risk aggravating the Frenchman’s injury from which he is quickly recovered. Either will be a good replacement, Song and Denilson’s efforts acknowledged by their captain:

I’ve played with both of them, of course, and I can say they work really hard, they always give their best and are very honest players. At Arsenal there’s a lot of pressure because we are a big club but from my perspective, and from outside, I think they are doing well

Denilson has received some recognition for his recent performances and it would be nice to see him pushing further forward with Nasri and Arshavin, Song’s natural defensive game helping this. Others may well (and do) disagree but I personally believe Song is a good squad player, potentially developing into a solid midfielder.

The team will probably be something along the lines of:

Almunia; Sagna, Toure, Gallas, Clichy; Arshavin, Denilson, Song, Nasri; van Persie, Bendtner

A win is vital to close the gap and with Villa playing on Sunday, it is the chance to put real pressure on them by closing the gap to three points. It is at this point of the season that Villa will either crumble or respond positively; all Arsenal can do is win their games.

Cesc also spoke more sense, as per normal, earlier this week:

It is not realistic to look at the league title now. You can never say never of course, but at the moment we would not be intelligent to be looking right to the top of the league. To be intelligent now is to go game by game and think about who is directly in front of us. Now we have to make sure we put a run of wins together and don’t lose more points. Chelsea and Aston Villa will drop points, of that I am sure, and that is why we need to be ready to capitalise at the right time

The failure to capitalise in recent weeks has been a stark reminder of the task ahead for the remainder of the season. Had we won the last two fixtures, the gap would have been four points. The thin line between success and failure highlighted by those results.

Manuel Almunia has backed up the point that Bacary Sagna made post-Sunderland. The right back said:

We are a young team and we have changed our style. We don’t rush forward as much anymore. We looked at what was going wrong and the reasons behind why we were conceding a lot of goals. We wanted to continue with the pace we displayed last season, but it was not helping us. So we have changed our style of play and we have not lost more games because of that…The most important thing is not to concede goals.

It has been the key element in building an unbeaten run, a tighter defence than previously displayed. That may well be helped by the renewed confidence and vigour being displayed by Toure and Gallas in the centre.

Almunia elaborated on the balance that needs to be found between the two styles Sagna spoke of:

Before, we probably used to create a few more chances and also we would finish those chances quicker. Now we are spending a bit more time to get a final shot. The players realise the fans deserve more from us and maybe some of the players are feeling more pressure at the moment at home because we are not winning games…The team in general, defensively, are doing very well. We now need to find that nice balance where we are tight at the back but get the goals.

There are two elements to what Almunia is saying. Yes, the goalscoring problems exist and they need to address that. With Adebayor likely to return against Roma, and Eduardo for the cup tie against Burnley, there is no doubt that Bendtner needs to start scoring for the sake of his seemingly limitless confidence but more importantly, to justify his claim for a starting line-up place. Without goals, it matters not that the Dane’s movement is good, it is hard to look at him as a short-term replacement for Adebayor or even someone to put pressure on the players ahead of him. At the end of the day, scoring is his fundamental role in the side at the moment.

The second aspect of Almunia’s comments again echo Sagna‘s last weekend. The crowd on Tuesday were more supportive of the team than last Saturday. Davebluez highlighted the difference between the two matches, the latter waiting to be entertained, the former behind the team from the start. Personally, I have always believed that the crowd should be behind the team from the off, rather than waiting for the team to lift the crowd. It does not always work this way and that is nothing new to The Emirates, it happened at Highbury and had been that way long before the EPL came into existence.

A reminder that ATVO is free today and you need to log on to the Arsenal.com site beforehand. You can find out more here, and enter the prize draw for a free six month subscription at the same time by leaving a comment. Please make them constructive as the ATVO team want to improve the ‘programme’ for the future.

Finally, you can subscribe by email to the blog by clicking here. Enjoy the match wherever you watch it, back with a match review tomorrow lunchtime. ’til Then.

390 thoughts on “Fulham (H) Preview – Three Points Required

1. Ponyboy says:

Lashings of Ginger beer, sandwiches, and a mystery man who scores two goals..

Question is – to watch or not watch MOTD ??

Want to watch Liverpool being beaten… but if it’s “Lawro”, it means a night of insomnia and hatred.,

2. Passenal says:

“what the f*ck did this classy club do to deserve this….never happened on this scale to Bertie Mee…Terry Neil…Don Howe…George Graham…Bruce Rioch….but the greatest of them all….with the team with the biggest potential gets booed…..”

It’s a sign of the modern spoilt brat world we live in – “I want it all and I want it now, and if I don’t get it I will scweam and scweam until I’m sick!”

Maybe getting a reputation as bad supporters will be a reality check for some? But it really shouldn’t have to be that way. If you’re going to support, do it wholeheartedly or not at all.

3. Le gunner says:

We all furstrated at the result amd we express our disappointments in diferent ways Like Joseph for example he wanked 3 times and squirted on his keyboard and the space bar isn’t working now Ha ha ha.
    To joseph- if you wank to much you’ll go blind and you will not be able to watch the game.
    Others wants to come out and say they support the club better than others because they don’t criticise the team when the result is shit. What the hell? We all gooners and lets rant.

4. Passenal says:

“Question is – to watch or not watch MOTD ??2

I say not, as I have not watched it at all this season – I see Hanson’s face and I want to kick my TV screen. I can’t afford to buy a new TV every week, so I pass!

5. Marc says:

Passenal – So very true. There’s an awful lot of people who need a kick up the arse.

6. Ponyboy says:

Just had a look at a ‘pool blog… makes us look positively mild… Benitez being called the ‘Spanish waiter’ (sic) – hatred for everyone of the players who didn’t score – etc etc..
    We are not alone , here ! More vitriol than Howard on speed..

7. Frank says:

….let us stop messing about…the person next to you…in front of you….behind you…boos the players……….take the f*cker out….conversationally if you can or physically…or my favorite is psychologically…

8. Frank says:

…Pb…you should know better…no real Arsenal supporter ever wathces MOTD…..

9. Frank says:

…MOTD was designed for the Mancs and the Scousers with occasional patronising footage for the lower teams….essentially a North West thing…unless the numbskull Mihir Bose has a say in which case you may see some utterly biased footage…of the Spuds….

10. Poliziano says:

Stop trying to defend Howard, Ponyboy. He’s a bad man – a very bad man. Don’t get taken in by his damsel in distress act.

11. Steve says:

I only have 3 things to say.

1. We did not play that badly.
    2. I wonder if these ‘supporters’ will boo when we only win by 1 goal.
    3. f*ck off Howard

12. Ponyboy says:

True… am getting old and forgetful.. but the look on Hansen’s/Lawrenson’s face(s) – it’s tempting..

13. Ponyboy says:

He is mentally ill, Pz – am i going to become like Consols and send him, mentally, to some camp ?
    It’s all very confusing, but yes, if he mentions Brian Clough once more, a painless death..

14. DukeGoonem says:

Well this team clearly has its L plates on and we just have to wait untill they finish their apprentiships.

I just hope we dont lose some of these players if we fail to qualify for the CL.

15. Ponyboy says:

“We few, we happy few – we band of brothers”!

16. Frank says:

…you see football is about bias….there is no such thing as neutral in football…so you people who have dised the club and manager and players publicly….including going to games and booing….you people have crossed the line….you are not Arsenal supporters anymore…. this is a cleansing process…sooner or later we will find our way back to loyal support…..judging by the views of certain people on here it may be later….but f*ck you…really… f*ck you…

17. Ole Gunner says:

Steve,

*We didn’t play badly. But we weren’t great either. The key is that we played well enough to win the game. But it’s distressing that we’ve had like 80 chances and not one single goal. That’s worrying.

18. Ponyboy says:

Duke –
    A shame to lose top players, but they are not Arsenal if they go to warm some CL team bench. F#ck ’em!
    May well be totally wrong, but can only see Ade and, – ouch – Robin – jumping ship.

19. Frank says:

..F*ck off, Ole Gunner….you wobbled, son..you don’t have what it takes….

20. Frank says:

…RvP will not leave the clunb unless AW does….neither will Cesc….and as such they have a lot more staying power than a good proportion of the supporters…

21. Frank says:

…clunb is a colloquial,old London word meaning club….it is a throw back to the Icenae and was used for a very short time after London was ‘cleansed’….sort of appropriate…

22. Steve says:

Nice history lesson there Frank. Cleaning TNHOF will be a lot harder as some of these people only boo inside the stadium when they are with their mates.

23. Poliziano says:

Is being as annoying as possible a recognised mental illness?

24. Ole Gunner says:

Frank,

What the fook? What’s that all about?

Don’t mess with me mate!

25. Steve says:

Being repetetive and as annoying as possible is.

26. Passenal says:

Why would any player leave? If we fail to qualify, it will also be down to them, no one can walk away and blame someone else for what’s gone wrong this season as they have all played a part. The club has stood by RVP during 3 injury affected seasons, I really cannot imagine him repaying that faith by jumping at the first opportunity. All our players have to do is look at their erstwhile colleagues Flamini and Hleb, to see where they could end up. As long as Wenger stays, they will all stay put for at least another year and if we can keep everybody fit for most of next season, I have every confidence that we can do something big.

27. Wenger is Eboue"s Dad says:

No you fuck off Frank

You have been WRONG all season>I bet you still think we can win the league.

The truth is after the shambles in the transfer window in the summer 4th place is the best we could how for.But no-one could believe it would be this bad

God news is the club may charge Carling cup prices fot the Europa cup next season

28. Frank says:

..I am not you’re mate, Ole Gunner…..but you are a splitter…support has gone bad, son…can’t be trusted….

29. Passenal says:

How can it ever be ‘wrong’ to support your team? They may not do as well as you hope, but hope rather than expectation is the essence of football.

30. Steve says:

Wenger is Eboue”s Dad:

Bit to much sauce?

31. Ole Gunner says:

Frank, are you smoking some good doobie? Better be back to apologise once you’re sober.

32. Big Al says:

@ PB – Defection? I have an objection to that!

I think I’ve been quite positive, but I – and I believe some others – still need a couple of days to recharge my batteries because there’s a hefty swell of moaners on the way. As OG said, it is exhausting!

It’s only going to be Arsenal.com for team news for the next few weeks.

I’m not really interested in anyone else’s view on Arsenal anymore. I can make my own mind up. It’s not rocket science. And it’s not like I need some guy who didn’t even pass his 11 plus (and probably want to see us fail) to sit in a studio or commentary box and talk sh*t just to fill the air.

The funny thing about all these draws is that a couple of wins on the trot will change their complexion so quickly. And if nothing else, 0-0 is a platform to bigger things.

Tuesday should be 3 points for us. Bis dann!

33. Ole Gunner says:

At some point, this will change, and we’ll have a good run of wins. I have no doubt whatoever about it.

But I am worried about almost 80 shots and not one goal. That’s a lot of quality players wasting that quality.

34. Passenal says:

Big Al, I don’t blame you – I feel like that sometimes myself. Sometimes you need to take a step back and avoid the doom and gloom in order to keep your sanity. As long as you are not turning your back on the team, you are still one of the good guys!

35. Ponyboy says:

Big Al – apologies!! Some of us are a bit one-eyed here tonight; you’re Mr. Cool.
    Just watched Titus Bramble stop ‘pool score three times..
    Cliche (ay) – but CONFIDENCE = SUCCESS.

36. Ponyboy says:

Last post : Robin was so unlucky.. 3 so close..
    Fulham only played well after our misses. Ok, PM over.

37. Ole Gunner says:

Brian Glanville, writing in the Times, claims Fulham outplayed Arsenal. Time to start testing journos for drug use.

38. Passenal says:

I’ll grant that Fulham played well, but they never outplayed us – Almunia did not have to make many saves. We created better goal scoring opportunities than they did.

39. Silver Gunner says:

We lack confidence and that will come with goals so I am hoping for a flooky goal to go in off Eboues or the big danes backside. That will be all we need as a team everthing else is there, come on lady luck please shine down on us.

Spare a thought for WBA who play some amazing footy and should have beaten everton but for some poo defending by them and excellent defending by Everton we aren’t the only ones struggling with bad luck.

40. Silver Gunner says:

Wow Brian Glanville must be a closet fulham fan……….

41. Le gunner says:

Its Ok I don’t mind EUROVISION cup or whatever shit they ‘ll call it at least the young kids will get to play some european football and we can concentrate on the league. if Wenger doesn’t learn from this season then I’m afraid it will be the end of the road for him another season like this and he might quit. But I’m confident next season it will be a different story. IF we have a good finish to this seson which I predict we will then Wenger will convince the want aways to stay but if we fail next season then we will see an exodus of our top players. Its all ifs and buts. Eurovision here we come.

42. Gunner4Ever says:

Unhappy?….Blame someone else…

When You’re unhappy, it’s almost impossible for some people to blame themselves….it’s always someone else, or some other circumstances that you don’t have control over. It’s easy this way, you don’t even have to look in the mirror.

Why are we unhappy? Because we are not winning. That doesn’t necessarily mean the team is bad, or Denilson did not make a 70 yard pass to Van Persi’s ass who nudges it into the net with ease. We are unhappy because we did not win, and for that we have to blame someone else.

I personally think – without going into much detail – the team looked tired from the off until the end of the first half – Typical after CL game – then picked up speed from 2nd half kick off feeling they have to score or win, until they got tired, more frustrated by not scoring and by the fans. On the other hand, Fulham more rested, have nothing to lose ease of mind, if they lost to us at the Emirates no one will blame them. They only looked good because they had many advantages.

My advise to the players is, forget about the stupid fans…with the next win, those retarded fans who booed them yesterday will be cheering with the same retarded attitude without even knowing why we won. We ask the players to control a flying rounded object in the air with ease, but we can’t even control ourselves. Such is how flaky fans are….

On to Tuesday, and nothing has changed because we are still Arsenal, we are not broke and we have a lot of talent in the bank.

P.S.
    For the retards, the talent in the bank is metaphor for: Fabregas, Walcott, Eduardo, Ade, and Rosicky.

43. Jerry says:

Strange. When we score no goals, half the people here blame the defensive midfielder.

Last year when we scored no goals, half the people (probably the same ones) slaughtered Adebayor and declared he wasn’t “Arsenal quality” even though he carried the team offensively all year.

Don’t get me wrong, I like Adebayor and RvP a lot and think they’re be a dynamite partnership if they ever get a long run together. But the difference in how they’re treated by critical fans is pretty shocking.

I’d add that if we’re worried about losing players, missing the CL will be bad. But just as bad might be playing in front of angry, spoiled fans.

I understand the frustration because it’s hard to figure out how we’re not scoring. Hell, Boro scored twice today. We certainly have the talent. I just don’t get it.

44. Ateeb says:

12 games to go. Do the fuc**** maths. We’ll be fine. Relax. Chelsea or Villa going to go down. Chelsea got really lucky today.

45. Hard Man says:

I dont blame Wenger i blame the board i cant believe how us the fans have let them get away with the way they have run the club.

The decision to sack David Dein was the catylist for the trouble we are in now.

Hill-wood and Fitzman couldnt run a piss up in a brewery.
    Without transfer funds our club cannot compete with the other top 3.We need investment

Wenger looks a broken man but he is not to blame its all the boards fault

46. Ole Gunner says:

Listening to Stan Collymore’s podcast. Jesus on a donkey! Is he real? Stark raving lunatic. But it’s entertaining just how out there he is.

47. Steve says:

well along with Frank, Bob, PB, PZ and not to forget the ladies Pass, FG an TC

48. Steve says:

If I missed anyone my apple-ogies.

F*ck off Howard & PSB you miserable shitehawks. You are the boo-ers of this new era.

49. Gunner4Ever says:

We will prevail Steve. Frustrating yesterday, but I would not change one player of this team just because we didn’t win. They’re the same players that gave Roma the run around but were just tired.

And thank you for the “F*ck Off Howard” follow up.

That was supposed to be my closing argument, but I forgot while trying to explain metaphors to retards.

Oh and to be fair, you f*ck Off too PSB.
    ===

Ole Gunner,

Long scoring droughts and missing chances are common and happen to many teams. When you know the quality is there, then it’s just a matter of weathering the storm. We are relying too much on Van Persie and it’s not fair to him comparing to Ade last season who was the only experienced forward, but with Fabregas as the big difference as a huge chance creator.

Hold off the fire on individual players, it not an individual problem. The gates of scorching scoring hell will open soon….Patience & resilience is the key.

G4E

50. Steve says:

From PSB:
    ” All season i have been getting stick on here for saying are (our) team is not good enough i am not joining the bandwagon now.I said it back in august.”

So back in august you knew this, and you have not stopped spouting your shite ever since.

Some fan you are, not once did you give the team any support (your words) since august.

F*ck off you miserable asshole. Who needs your support. (That is even if you even give the team support. i.e. going to games or buying shirts, etc.)

I bet you are just another pub fan who never even buys a shirt. (miserable Wan*er)

51. Luke says:

D&G are out with their “misfiring” and “toothless” adjectives.

Keep the faith. This trend of ill luck and lack of goals has to end one day.

52. Luke says:

Full credit to Fulham. Another is “spluttering”.

On another note, Eboue was good when he came off the bench as Sagna’s substitute.

53. Luke says:

Bendtner too freshened up the attack, but the Fulham keeper just refused to be beaten.

54. gackt13 says:

I STILL BELIEVE WE CAN WIN THE TITLE THIS SEASON 🙂

55. jacky says:

frank is a f-ing bastard, who bullies true fans honest enough to address the shortcomings of the team. people who stand on frank’s side and helps him in bullying the others- you are all cowards!

56. mike009 says:

le gunner, you are obviously naive. do you seriously believe van persie, adebayor, fabregas will stay if we do not have champions’ league football next season.

some f-ing bastards may complain about the fans here.

but do you seriously think the players themselves give a damn about the fans or the club?

57. Gunner4Ever says:

You’re not qualified to address shortcomings of any one. You’re qualified to be a supporter, feel frustrated, but not belittle players because you don’t know shit about managing one player let alone 25 or more.

The man who spent years and years training and managing clubs while you where still playing in your poopoo said that talking more about a problem you can’t measure will only increase and magnify the problem not resolve it. The same players who can’t score now are the players who were scoring for us before. What do you want us to do with them? How are you going to resolve our shortcomings? Buy more players right? And if it doesn’t work still, buy some more and start all over?

Then you have another one who says those players will leave us if we can’t qualify for CL? Why do you think a CL club would take them if you think they’re so bad?

You want us to believe that you’re someone to trust in resolving our shortcomings….I don’t think so. You just want to come here and whine your ass off, and want us to lie to you and tell you’re right so you can feel good about yourself.

Do you think Frank doesn’t want the team he loves to win? At least Frank knows what his duty is as an Arsenal fan….and that’s to support, support, and then support some more.

58. AussieGunna says:

I know that I’ve made one or two slightly negative comments in the past, the truth is I’m not feeling so glum at the moment.

True, we should have won, but another clean sheet has got to be good! And at least we’re now creating chances!
    I have to agree that it is incredible to hear the booing on the t.v, that is simply shameful, the only other stadium I’ve heard it that bad was the times I’ve been in the Amsterdam Arena watching Ajax play poorly. It saddens me that we’re (vocal fans) are starting to reflect the continental model. It is NOT something to be proud of.

The boys look a shot of confidence in front of goal, explain to me how booing them is going to help get their confidence levels up again? It just beats the hell out of me.

On a positive note, Villa have a string of bloody tough games coming up including Everton, Liverpool and the Mancs so its still not all lost, plus their luck will probably run out against Stoke. Stoke to win 1-2!

I’m going to add my voice to those singing the praises of the team in April, at the ‘borough game, Come on Arsenal!!!!

59. Frank says:

…the ‘fans’ in the stadium have become a disgrace….not only to the club….but a disgrace to football….that booing fiasco was classless….and now the whole footballing world and a few more know that Arsenal supporters are not behind their manager and team….most importantly the players and manager know it….it has got to the stage where when playing at the Arsenal Stadium we will need to deduct a goal every game….not add one….we will be playing with 10 men…no twelfth man as other teams have…when you tell other supporters that you support Arsenal…they will snigger…’good team..almost there’…sh*t fans though don’t you think….’sing us that booing song again, you know the one you Arsenal supporters sing at you stadium…’…’we like that..gives us a chance against you’….

…I am a bully…yes that is exactly the point…well spotted…..but I ask who is the coward?….when 30000 people get on the backs of the players….without having sung a word…who is the coward when you snipe at the club on blogsites…..who is the coward when you are the sort of supporter who puts his/her team at a disadvantage at home….who is the coward when you join in the mob and behave like a hack dripping poison about your club into the public domain….. who is the coward when you are an ex-player and you dis the team for money…..obvious isn’t it?

…what a sh*t day to be a gooner……shameful day…..I will support this club unreservedly…but I am not sure I want to be called a gooner…..nope…bad associations…I am an Arsenal supporter and a an extremist at that…but I am not a gooner….no f*cking way…..

60. Bradys right foot says:

We are the worst fans in the league. The thought of having to share this team, stadium and our heritage with a large section of the emirates “faithful” makes me sick to the pit of my stomach. As someone who has followed the club for the best part of 45 years I resent having to share the club with the spoilt brats that occupy too many seats at the emirates. This season has been horrendous so far made worse by the behaviour of some of our supporters, but the promise that this team has and the options that a fully fit squad would give to the manager should be exciting every fan not just ours but football fans worldwide. Were going to have to take this season on the chin and man up that goes for the fans and the players..

61. Matty says:

it’s all getting a little too opinionated on here for me at the moment. come on lads, the truth is rarely black or white, it’s usually shades of grey.

everyone could be doing a bit better at the moment, from manager to players to fans.

but let’s keep sme perspective. even if we come 5th or 6th (which is not my opinion, i still think we will make 4th), it is not the end of the world.
    we are a proper football club, well run. Fab and RVP etc will not leave if we don’t make the CL. They want to play for this manager and this club.

Some of the negativity at the ground is OTT, but some of it is to be understood, we are all frustrated – as much as the players are.

One image in my mind from yesterdays game is Almunia, at the final whistle standing with his hands on hips, shaking his head at what was in front of him.
    You can bet (I hope I’m right here) that there was a lot of tough words being said in the dressing room last night.

Come on Arsenal. By far the greatest team, the world has ever seen. I get goose bumps just typing it.
    Let’s stick together, ranting at each other on here isn’t going to help.

62. Matty says:

btw – re the Brian Glanville report on the game in The Times.
    I’ve got it here in front of me.
    He doesn’t say that Fulham outplayed us. He says, amongst other things, that their ‘keeper made 4 good saves, and Almunia had to make none.

I thought it was a pretty fair and accurate match report.

And fwiw, Brian Glanville is a well known Arsenal supporter. He is also a well respected and experienced journalist who doesn’t let that cloud his journalism.

63. magav says:

Matty, fully agree about us getting too heated on ourselves…

but you know, clubs are circling around our best players…

yes, we can always point out that players who leave arsenal rarely make the cut elsewhere, and that is a good lesson for anyone thinking about leaving.

but surely players like van persie and fabregas will believe they are good enough and still leave anyway?

they always cite the desire to win trophies, and that is something we haven’t done…yet.

so i am really not sure about them staying if we don’t get champs league football.

the club wouldn’t want to sell them…but i am concerned about another adebayor saga…

64. Consolsbob says:

Just got through reading all the posts from last night. A hard slog but one that was rewarded with the never say die, spirit of true Arsenal fans.

Jesus wept, you’d have thought that we had just been relegated to read some of it.

A big up to those who fought the fight on here last night. All Arsenal man and women true. Some excellent contributions, I particularly liked G4E taking them all on and FBS’s analysis of the games to come.

I particularly loathed PSB and Howard, nothing new there. Horrible to see a few new names appearing on here to waggle their little dicks about , creaming themselves at a chance to say. “..I told you so, nah, nah, nah ,nah na”!

But my particular hero of the night was Paul N who kept calm when all about him was chaos. A thread of reason and decency throughout. You the man Paul.

65. Poliziano says:

I know what you mean about frustration, Matty. When my little son was learning to walk, I often got frustrated. Every time he wobbled, I groaned. If he tottered backwards and ended up sitting on the floor, I’d shout, “For f*ck’s sake, you little c*nt. You don’t give a sh*t about your dad. You only care about yourself. Now you’ve got your larger meals, you’ve become lazy.” I have to admit, too, (though I hang my head in shame) that at the end of a session, I would often give a loud, sustained boo.

Nevertheless, I consider myself the most loving and supportive of fathers.

66. Frank's biggest fan says:

And one of the “reasons” for this booing is the ticket price. Apparently. No one is compelled to buy the season ticket. It’s a free society, and if you’re really in full “commitment” and “love” for the club, you get the ticket. As we saw with the “booing”, there is no real commitment, love, and respect for the club, the coach and the players. I hope these tw*ts don’t renew the ST, and let the real fans in waiting list “support” us.

67. Matty says:

magav – i agree with the logic, and yes it is probably a little naive to think non CL footy means we keep ALL our players.
    but I think Fab and RVP and the majority will give us at least one season of non CL footy – they will see it as a big failure if they leave at the low.
    Fab especially will want to tough it out.
    and if we do lose players, we will get decent money for them, and I back AW and Gazidis to spend the money wisely.

anyway, hopefully it will be a mute point. when we qualify for it by coming in the top 4, or whisper it quietly – winning the thing !

68. Matty says:

haha Poli – that’s funny.
    but – i hope you know i’m not condoning that sort of reaction to one’s frustration.
    i’m the one having rucks with mr bendy hater sitting behind me !

69. Passenal says:

“Bitching and moaning is easy, pointing the shortcomings is easier…..Supporting unconditionally is hard thing to do because it requires real love.”

Great point G4E

70. Aman says:

We didn’t win.
    We did not lose.
    We’re playing better than before
    AW’s mixing up the formations

We clearly miss our maestro Cesc
    And cannot wait for Ed & Ade
    Soon Theo will be flying free
    Will Tomas ever come back full?

Now, being we’re are 11 games away
    From finishing anywhere from 2nd-6th
    The bigger question is
    What fan are YOU?
    Do you jump ship when things are not so good?
    Or patiently believe in whats clearly true?

This team is on its way to becoming SPECIAL
    I am not deluded, just fully connected
    With what hi-def Arsene’s trying to do.

And so however long it takes
    However low it makes me sometimes
    I love this team & the man’s vision
    Unconditionally!

Big-picture Arsene knows
    That the world needs beauty & individuality
    Much more than it needs results
    For era creation & continuity

But in a world of instant gratification
    Finer wine must sometimes make way
    For the wine coolers!

ARSENAL for theLOVE of LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!

71. Consolsbob says:

Good digging Passenal!

You a researcher or just an Arsenal anorak who can’t help searching out stories about our team?

I love you and I don’t care who knows it. Except consolslel of course.

72. Aman says:

Big up to those that get it
    F**k Off to those who don’t!!!!!

73. Ole Gunner says:

Matty,

You’re right. Glanville didn’t say Fulham outplayed Arsenal. It was just the impression I got because of the way he linked the first sentence about Fulham having dominated Arsenal at Craven Cottage to yesterday’s game without making a contrast with yesterday’s game.

74. Passenal says:

It didn’t take that much digging to find the story Consolsbob – I was just perusing the Newsnow headlines, the most negative of which came from Arsenal blogs by the way and spotted this story. I was so taken by the oasis of sense in a sea of crap, I had to share it with people who would appreciate it!

It also struck me that these Arsenal bloggers saying it’s time for Arsene to go etc, really don’t understand the club they claim to support. If they did, they would realise that it is only Arsene’s brilliance that has kept the team near the top on a shoe string budget. No other manager in world football would have the vision to do what he has done. He is the one who has set the high standards against which he is being judged. The only way another cheque book manager could succeed would involve us selling our soul to the devil to throw good money after bad in an attempt to buy our way out of problems. Also, the world is a different place now. Banks will not lend clubs money to buy players and pay their wages, and rich benefactors are not beating the door down to buy football clubs the way they were. In fact the only hawk circling our club wants dividends on his shares – he is looking to make money from our club not bank roll us.

75. Matty says:

I think that last para from Passenal pretty much sums things up perfectly.
    I can’t even bring myself to talk to anyone who says AW should go. If you think that, you really need to go into a dark room and take a long hard look at yourself. Or maybe forget the dark room, make it a padded cell instead.

76. Consolsbob says:

I agree Passenal, Matty. I don’t go near those opinions if I can help it these days. Used to check out other blogs for a laugh but it’s not funny anymore.

Mind you amongst all the rubbish written on here last night, I think Frank stood out. I mean all this talk of hanging the traitors from the roof at the stadium. Absolutely bl*ody stupid.

Hanging’s far too good for them.

77. O says:

I really believe that deep down, nobody wants Wenger to go. They think they’re putting pressure on him because nobody else is.

It’s a spectacular misunderstanding of Wenger. This is a guy who wants to win. Who sets big goals and makes them happen. Pressure doesn’t make him want to do anything more.

It’s just stupidity because all you get is a negative environment around the club that hurts many times more than it ever could help.

78. grim says:

All hail Tony Mowbray. A clear unsentimental assessment and a lack of cliches, refreshing.

I love this blog, don’t post very often, but read avidly. One thing I’d like to add, and its nothing new, is that the football model will have to change in the UK and Europe.
    With the debt some clubs have, or flats or TV deals, people through turnstiles whatever, money will be in shorter supply. Arsenals policy, reengaged at united, liverpool and Chelsea and best at Everton this season, of building the team from within will pay dividends as we move forward and this team grows into maturity.
    All between 23 and 27 with some well blooded teenagers following on.
    I can not see why people do not get it, yet that’s why we as a country have so much debt in the first place, blinded by the here and now……..
    Wenger will be praised again as a genius within two years with his oh so brilliant ‘foresight’. HA!

This season has not been great but is not over, I said second place and a cup so that’s still on.
    but the injuries have allowed a lot of players the chance to play ( the only way to bring players on in the premiership, and the reason Villa have had a good run but are now having to drop competitions because the small squad plays all the time, great up till the 80’s) and that will give them a blast out of the box next season with no summer competition…. good grief looking forward already.

79. DukeGoonem says:

having duck eggs for breakfast this morning.

80. DukeGoonem says:

almunia
    sagna toure gallas clichy
    arsh fabregas diaby nasri
    eds van p

bench, walcott,adebayor,denilson,eboue,bendy

this is a great team..and soon it will be on show!!

81. Ponyboy says:

Tony Mowbray –
    – there’s a man with class. Thanks for that, Passenal. Shame they will probably be relegated.

As for the guy who called Frank a bully, and us positive lot ‘cowards’ – nope, actually have nothing to say to you. Frank already replied, with considerable restraint.
    Now – a little ‘ladyluck’ please, footballing Gods!